Chapter 14

Content warning. To prevent spoilers, I'm adding the actual warning at the end of the chapter. So check the notes if you'd like to be given a heads up. 

I took a deep breath as I was instructed to join up on the stage on the third night. The crowd started screaming in excitement. Not because it was me walking out, but simply because somebody was. I walked right up to the front of the stage and sang the first line. Alex joined in, making me smile at him as we went through the second verse.

As the chorus started, I was at Jack's side. We danced together for a line before I went to Zack's side of the stage. And that's the first moment when something shook me out of my usual stage high. A pain shot up my back, almost making me lose where we were in the song. But I tried to shake it off, chalking it up to making a weird movement. My voice, however, shook the slightest bit when I sang the last line of the chorus all by myself.

I glanced in Jack's direction while I harmonised with Alex in the bridge, unsure about the nausea I was suddenly feeling. But the people around me were none-the-wiser about whatever dizziness I had going on. I decided to slow down, steadily walking back to be in between Jack and Alex.

Usually, I'd be jumping around during the last chorus, rocking out for one last moment before the song ended. The crowd would go wild for that one as well. This time, I opted to stay more in one spot. Jack came up to me to play his guitar part while I carefully swayed along, not wanting to hurt my back more than it already was.

Alex and I sang the last line together, the song ending soon after. He made the crowd cheer for me one last time as I walked off the stage again. They almost immediately went into their next song. I handed my microphone back to a crew member and tried stretching the knot out of my back. But it wasn't working, if anything, the ache was only persisting.

Usually, I'd stay and watch the rest of the show. This time, however, I decided I really shouldn't push it. Instead of staying side stage, I decided to go back to the green room. The show became more and more muffled the further I went. It was almost completely empty in the hallways as well.

Once in the green room, I decided I'd take advantage of the extra time I had to take a shower while nobody else was waiting to get in as well. Plus, the heat could help my back out. So, I grabbed a change of clothes and my toiletry bag before going into the bathroom. I put all my stuff on the counter and went to use the toilet first.

Concern rushed through me when I wiped and saw some blood on the toilet paper. But the doctor had told me that spotting was completely normal, especially in the first trimester. And I was in the last week of my first trimester. I pushed the bad thought away and decided that I would keep an eye out on it instead of immediately freaking out.

With a shaky breath out, I took all of my clothes off and hopped into the shower. The warm water gave some comfort, but not much relief. I tried to ignore it all, knowing I could just lay down on the couch and rest a little as soon as I was done. I closed my eyes and let the water hit my face, washing off the makeup I had worn that day.

What I wasn't ready for was how the water in the tub had streaks of red through it when I looked down at my feet. My heart started pounding and I nearly stumbled backwards. I was praying that I had just cut one of my toes on something, but I knew better than that. Another drop of blood fell into the water, turning the water another shade of red.

The sight in front of me made the pain localise. It wasn't my back that had started it all. No, I was having full blown cramps. I started to panic when the water mixed with the thicker blood, colouring my thighs a crimson red as well. Nothing in me wanted to accept what was going on.