Chapter 22

"Okay, so, I'm going to be leaving Mr. Snuggles here," I said as I tucked the teddy bear into Jack's bunk.

Jack looked taken aback as I stood back upright. My bag was fully packed and ready to be taken off the bus. I had just collected my last belongings from the bunk and decided to leave the all-important bear with Jack. His heartbreaking confession about me 'leaving as well' still lived with me. I couldn't just leave him behind this time.

"He helped me, now he gets to help you," I elaborated, giving him a smile. "Just make sure to take care of him so we can return him to Ben later."

"I–" he looked down at the bear and back up at me. "Thanks."

I kissed him on the cheek. It wasn't time for me to leave yet, but I was getting ready for the moment that we parted ways again. We were in my quaint humble hometown, Los Angeles, which meant I would be getting off the bus and staying behind. It was unfortunate that Jack didn't get a day off at home, but he'd be back in a week.

I was still worried about him. He had moments where he'd be almost back to himself again, but other times, he'd be staring off into the distance and removed from the conversation. Granted, the good times seemed to be with a specific amount of alcohol. Any point before or after that could flip his mood back.

Despite this being the last show I would see, I was excited for it. My dad and Ben were coming since they were also my transport back home. They didn't often get to witness the shows, but my dad even let Ben come regardless of the fact that it was a school night.

The venue was already alive when we entered. Crew members were hurrying around, preparing the last things for the night's show. The soundcheck had already been done and it wouldn't be long until the doors opened. Jack excused himself after somebody asked him to check something out, leaving me to put my stuff in the dressing room by myself.

Luckily, it wasn't long until I got a text from my dad, letting me know they had arrived. I met them outside the venue, two backstage passes for them in my hand.

"You guys made it!" I skipped up to them with excitement.

My dad hugged me tightly. "We wouldn't miss it for the world. Right, Ben?"

"I can't wait to see Jack play!" Ben jumped up and down, grinning from ear to ear.

"Speaking of Jack..." I leaned down just a little to get down to Ben's level. "I asked Mr. Snuggles to take care of him until he gets home. Is that okay?"

He nodded enthusiastically, making me smile. He couldn't have known just how much that gesture would mean back when he first approached me in my bedroom. But now, Mr. Snuggles was a symbol of everything Jack and I were going through.

"Good, that means a lot to me," I thanked him and shared a look with my dad. He was the only one who could understand why I would leave the teddy bear with Jack. "Why don't I show you around a little?"

I took them around the venue, showing them how things worked and where things were. Some people introduced themselves while others already knew them. After all, this wasn't their first show. Especially my dad had come out a few times. It was only Ben's second time, though.

As we approached the green room, a loud scream came from it. I immediately recognised the voice as Alex's, mortified that somebody had broken something. It didn't sound serious, though. This sounded like pre-show shenanigans.

"Oh my god, what did I let you marry into," my dad mumbled beside me as Alex shouted that it was an emergency.

As we entered the room, we saw Alex and Rian gathered around something Alex was holding in his hands. They both looked incredibly concerned.