Chapter 19

The walk home killed both Frank and Gerard. It hurt Frank knowing his boy would probably be hurting soon. It hurt Gerard knowing he was risking his mental health by going back so soon. He knew he had to go back eventually, so he just wanted to do it and be done with it. He could always leave again if things got too bad.

They neared their destination. "Be careful, Gee." Frank mumbled into Gerard's shoulder. He was worried for him.

"I will. I need to be careful for you and for Mikey. I'll be okay." He went inside. Frank stood outside for a moment, and as he turned to leave he faintly heard shouting from inside. He cringed but forced himself to keep walking.

Memories flooded into his mind and burned at him. He shut his eyes and walked faster. The thoughts wouldn't go away. He ran. Sprinting, he made it home and went straight room his room to call Gerard. He dialed his number with a shaky hand.

He got Gerard's voicemail. It left Frank in shock; what happened?

"Gerard, are you okay? I- I need you, and I heard you shouting, and... oh God just tell me you're alright, I need you... please call me as soon as you can, please, I need to know that you're okay..."

He ended the message and put down the phone. He didn't know what he should do. He sat on the edge of his bed, not keeping track of time, just waiting. The sun went down before he even realized it. He sighed, turned off the light, and curled up on his bed. He had no intentions of sleeping.

His phone suddenly rang. The sound caused his to bolt upright and scramble around in search of the phone. It was balled up in the sheets under him. He flipped it open and answered the call.

"Gerard! Are you okay?" He frantically said into the speaker.

"I'm fine, I guess." Gerard replied.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, really."

"Tell me what happened, Gerard."

"I said it was nothing."

"Please tell me."

"Fine... I'm just..."

"Just what?"

"I'm feeling so suicidal, Frank. Nobody wants me here anymore. My parents hate me, I have no friends, all I have is you. And I can't stand it anymore."

Frank didn't know what to say and he felt bad about it. "Gerard, no... No please don't feel that way..."

"Well it's true!" Gerard snapped. "My dad is always out and comes home drunk as fuck, my mom doesn't care about me or Mikey, everyone else I know hates me! I'm so tired of it! It hurts me so much and I want it to stop." He sobbed into the phone. "Frank, I-I need to go. I need to take a walk. I'll talk to you later." He hung up.

Shit, oh God, no, Frank thought as he pulled on his jacket and ran out the door. He knew exactly where Gerard would be. He ran down the sidewalk, occasionally tripping in the dark.