Arc 1 : [ Safe Zone ] Part 3 : { Interesting Specimen }

Kakeru's Point Of View

I woke up after a nightmare because of loud sounds coming from the living room.

What the hell is that sound...? I've barely been able to sleep with night watch duties last night... and the guilt...

I checked my phone to see the time.

6:48 AM... This is the earliest I've woken up... even on school days, I barely come on time... why you ask...? Because I can, kuku... I can remember Shiina scolding me about that almost every day... Shiina...

For a second, memories of her face rushed into my mind, almost giving me a panic attack.

I can't think about them... not right now... I have to protect the only people I have left... the only person, actually...

I stood up from my bed and looked around the room.

Seems like everyone else is still asleep... except for two... Sakayangi... and the Monster...

After putting away my phone, I picked up my pipe and walked into the living room to check on the noise.

Kakeru: Arrgh, what the fuck is that sound?

I heard the sound of another loud bang, akin to a gun being fired.

Sakayangi: Good morning, Ryuuen-kun. Are you the only one awake right now?

Sakayangi greeted me. She was sitting on the couch, like usual, surfing the web on Ayanokoji's laptop.

Kakeru: Unfortunately, yes... Are you still on the internet?

Sakayanagi: Yes. What else would I be doing?

Kakeru: Haaah... Look, I still don't like you, but I recommend you at least take a break once in a while. We can't risk you suddenly dropping dead.

Sakayangi: You know that I won't do that, right?

She's right...

Ever since we got here, she's been doing nothing but scouring the web. This is because unlike the other 7, she can't help with any physical activities, making her more of a burden than anything else. Of course, she doesn't feel guilty about this but her pride can't accept herself becoming a liability.

Kakeru: Do what you want... Anyways, can you tell me now where that sound is coming from...?

She pointed behind where the balcony was located at. It was closed from the outside, yet I could still see a figure behind the glass holding a pistol in his right hand and binoculars in his left. Next to him was a big plastic box containing utensils.

So that's where he is... and where that sounds coming from... what's he going to use those utensils for tho...

Kakeru: How long has he been doing this?

Sakayangi: Since 5 in the morning.

Kakeru: Have you spoken to him?