Short Story : Nagumo Miyabi I

Doom awaited me, centimetres away. In front of me stood Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. The person who finally took me down, his metal plated fist ready to penetrate my head, snuffing out any type of life still left inside this rotting body.

This is how it ends... huh... quite the unexpected end from what I would've expected...

Strangely, I didn't feel any sadness or grieve at all. Maybe it was because of transformation suppressing my emotions. But I definitely felt something.

Satisfaction.

Finally, I got my wish and was challenged and subsequently subdued by a worthy opponent. This wasn't how I wanted it to end, tho. So I guess I do have regrets. Many, to say the least.

Naturally, someone of my genius wasn't just born to some common family. I am the proud 3 son of the prodigious Nagumo family amongst 7 siblings. Out of all of them, I was by far the most successful and amazing. There was no doubt it.

And this doesn't come from my own words. This came from everything I achieved and from the thousands of words of praise from the people around me. I wasn't just better, I was the best. Everywhere I went, I stood out as someone superior, someone who nobody could ever hope to match.

But I wasn't naive. I never cared for their empty words of praise. They never mattered nor did I care for their attention.

These words... they mean nothing... they never did...

I could reach heights nobody ever could, yet there always was this lingering feeling of emptiness in my achievements. They were just all too easy. No challenge, no worthy rivals, no struggle. This wasn't what I wanted. It never was.

That's right... my deepest desire... it was to aim higher than that...

I wanted to surpass the head of my family. My father.

Everyone looked up to him, respected him, worshipped the very ground he walked on. It was disgusting for me. Because just like me, he never struggled for what he obtained. But unlike me, he was satisfied with how little effort he put into building his empire.

A man of empty words filled with empty desires... I will make sure never to become someone as spineless as him...

His face has become a blur in my mind at this point, as he never showed up around my mother and siblings that much. Apparently, from what I heard, he was always too busy working on a project with President Kijima.

But I never cared for his attention, anyway. I never cared for anyone's attention except for him. Horikita Manabu.

The moment I entered this prestigious school in the hopes of finding a challenge, I was once again disappointed by the "elites" of this school. Nobody could think on the same level as me; always multiple steps behind me. At first, I thought I was going to climb these empty stairs of success once again, riding the coattails of my natural talents. Empty victories till the end of my stay here.

But then, suddenly, more and more incredible achievements were heard from the grade above ours, achievements that completely overshadowed mine by miles. At first, I felt incredible envy for the person stealing my glory, but soon it turned into awe. Finally, there was someone on my level, someone who could finally give me that battle that I craved so battle.

A deep desire reawakened itself... a light that was snuffed out in middle school... exploded into a blaze...

I had to meet this man, I had to challenge him, I had to defeat him. And I had to say, I wasn't disappointed in the slightest, a worthy rival in every sense of the word, unlike my pathetic siblings. I began to excessively prod and challenge him, always in his way.