Short Story : Ichinose Honami I

In my arms laid the unconscious body of Ayanokoji. His head was leaking blood. Two horders approached me from left and right, intending to finish him off. I quickly wailed my weapon to keep them away with my right while I held Ayanokoji in my left.

"Anyone, please!!" I yelled helplessly.

What am I doing... am I really this useless...?

That's right, since I entered this school, I have done nothing but let everyone down. My friends, my classmates, and even my family. I saw the disappointment after each failure in their eyes sometimes. It broke the delusion I was living under for a few moments; it made me reflect on my actions and failures. But despite that, I didn't stop moving forward, continuing to move forward without learning anything new.

I thought that... if I continued to do what I thought was right... that someday my efforts would be rewarded...

But suddenly, he entered my life. Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. He was a quiet Class D student who didn't seem to stand out much. All I heard about him was that he was quite mature at the time, which led me to help me with that confession. My intution was right, and he gave me the exact words I needed to deal with it in the best way I could.

After that day, we continued to talk and hang out sometimes. He always gave me advice and words that I could take to heart.

It was like he was a solution... to me...

The failures of my leadership kept on piling up, the hope of my classmates slowly leaving their eyes exam after exam. We were united but not successful. And I knew why. It wasn't anyone's fault but mine. Unlike the other leaders, I couldn't make the right choices, only the safest. As a leader, I was the captain of a ship, and if the captain could never risk their crew to head into unchartered territory, we would never reach our destination.

I wanted to hand this position over to someone else at one point... like Kanzaki-kun... but it was too late already... all their hopes and dreams of my classmates sunk into me and me alone... I had to change myself...

Fighting with myself, I suddenly had another problem to deal with. My past. Someone revealed my past that I tried to forget so badly. It wasn't about everyone knowing, but a reminder of how far my failures go back to.

I was done. I gave up on trying. I couldn't stand under the burden that I kept on carrying. All I wanted was to hide and suffer, just like in middle school. So I did. Just like back then, I shut everyone out as I rotted inside my room, the knocking on my doors and incoming calls from worried friends, becoming nothing but background noise at some point.

That was until I heard the voice of a certain person I didn't expect to reach to me personally.

Ayanokoji started waiting in front of my room every day, keeping me company in my misery. I thought he just wanted to pull me out of the hell I've personally subjected myself to, but again, I was wrong. All he wanted was for me to share it with someone else.

I was sure that I... fell in love...

Ever since he appeared in my life, he has done nothing but save me from my failures.

But those were nothing compared to the biggest failure... the day where 'they' arrived...

Because of my naivity and incompetence, I caused the demise of my entire class. The image of them being eaten alive has been drilled into my eyes. Their screams are still heard every time I try to sleep.

Again, he showed up to pull me out of my misery. I knew that no one actually believed in me anymore. The disappointment in their eyes after each loss was the giveaway. I wasn't dumb, just delusional.