Chapter 27: Snake in the Nest

The next morning, Rick  was to meet with everyone to go over the plan. He took the rest of the evening yesterday to himself, so hopefully this plan is good. If not, well, we all know what happens.

"Take watch. Eyes open, head down." He instructed Maggie, handing her a rifle.

I watched as he placed another gun next to Glenn, "Field's filled with walkers. Didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch."

"I'll be up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence. " Daryl said from beside me, placing his hands on his hips.

"Or use some of the cars to put the bus in place." The woman (who I've still have yet to asked her name.) suggested from the corner.

"We can't access the field without burning through our bullets." Hershel said.

Glenn sighed, "So we're trapped in here. There's barely any food or ammo."

"Been here before." Daryl said rubbing his face with one hand, "We'll be alright."

"That's when it was just us." Glenn argued, "Before there was a snake in the nest."

The moment Glenn started speaking, I could see the irritation on Daryls face as he just knew what Glenn was going to say had something to do with the fact Merle was here.

Daryl stepped closer to Glenn, "Man, we gonna go through this again? Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now. Get used to it. All y'all." With that Daryl removed himself from the conversation.

"Seriously, Rick, I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly." Glenn whispered.

"I can't kick him out." Rick said in a hushed tone.

"I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you." Glenn responded aggressively.

"Merle has military experience. He may be erratic, but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother." Hershel said from the sidelines.

"What if we solve both problems at once? Deliver Merle to the Governor. Bargaining chip. Give him his traitor, maybe declare a truce." Glenn suggested.

"You know the Governor won't go for that." I shook my head, "Besides, we'll lose Daryl again if we even tried that. And no offense Glenn, but I'm not gonna lose him. Not this time."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Carl came running in saying that Andrea was outside, and making her way to the gate. Rick directed some of us to grab rifles and follow his lead. I followed Rick outside, with Daryl, Merle and Beth following behind as we took cover behind the silver truck.

"Go." Rick instructed Merle.

"Clear." Merle shouted, causing us to move forward to the gate with our guns raised.

"Are you alone?" Rick shouted.

"Open the gate!" Andrea yelled.

"Are you alone?!" Rick asked more aggressively.

"Rick!"

Rick looked towards Daryl, nodding tossing him the keys. Once she was on the inside Rick slammed her up against the gate, checking to see if she had any other weapons, before throwing her to the ground, making her get on her knees.

"I asked if you were alone." He said harshly as he ripped her bag off of her.

"I am." She said breathlessly.

"Welcome back." Rick said as he helped her up.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆