5 - Welcome Home

I finished all the talk shows in New York, and I was excited that I didn't have to worry about running into Chris anymore. The problem was since I announced it as the new single I ended up since Mr. Perfectly Fine on 2 more talk shows.

Hollie flew me to my vacation destination. She wasn't staying but she wanted to make sure I got in safely. I walked out of the airport, luckily no paparazzi and I saw my ride waiting and I smiled.

"Dad." I sighed as he pulled me into a hug.

"Welcome home kiddo."

"It's good to be home." I said as we loaded my bags in the car and then got in, Hollie was staying at the airport so she could catch a plan to her vacation destination.

We drove in silence for a couple of minutes then Thomas sighed.

"I feel like I should warn you..."

"What?" I groaned.

"Your mom is wanting to grill you right away about the song and who it's about." Thomas said and I groaned.

"I don't feel like mentioning it..."

"She also wants to know why you and Chris lied about knowing each other. I mean we were always under the assumption you two were still friends, but life got in the way, and you didn't want Hollywood rumors starting about dating or whatever." Thomas said and I just sighed and looked out the window.

"Dad, I don't want to talk about me and Chris. It's all water under the bridge honestly."

"Well can't you just say that you two used to know each other and leave it at that?" Thomas asked.

"No because when he dropped me off at the house in LA, I told him we were no longer friends and we haven't spoken since." I blurted out.

Thomas sat in silence and didn't know what to say. He wanted to know what happened but wasn't going to pry.

"I will tell your mom to let it go, okay?" Thomas asked and I gave a small smile.

"Thank you." I said.

We drove the rest of the way to the house in silence. I saw the Evans family home as we passed, and I sighed.

"They still live there?" I asked and Thomas nodded.

"Lisa will never leave." Thomas said and I huffed a laugh.

We got to our house, and I saw my mom standing on the porch talking to someone.

"Who is she talking to?" I asked and Thomas shrugged as he pulled in the driveway and I saw who it was, and I groaned. "Perfect."

I got out of the car and Thomas headed to get my bags, more like shoving me toward the front door.

"Welcome home sweetie!" Martha said and I smiled walking up and hugging my mom. She was crushing me but I hadn't been home in years, so I got it.

"Hey mom." I said as she kissed my cheek and then released me. I looked to see who she was talking to, and she smiled as she pulled me into a hug as well.

"Welcome home sweetie. It's so good to see you and not on a tv screen or stage performing." Lisa Evans said with a chuckle. I huffed a laugh.

"Well, it's good to be home honestly. It's been too long." I said and she nodded.

"It really has. Although I have to admit when you said you were taking a break on Fallon, I never would have guessed it meant you were coming back home." Lisa said and I shrugged.

"Yeah well, I didn't want to go on vacation alone. No boyfriend to go with and all friends my age are either dating someone, married or even have kids so everyone getting away is hard. I just would rather come home and spend time with mom and dad." I explained.

Lisa just smiled with a nod.

"Well, you need to come down and see everyone soon. I know they would be happy to see you. Scott said he was hoping to see you at Fallon the other night, but you rushed out after the show."

"Oh yeah...um...I just wanted to get back to the hotel. Had to catch my plane the next morning." I said and she nodded but I could tell she was searching for a reason I didn't talk to Chris.

"Okay ladies, let's let her breath for a minute and relax." Thomas said walking up to us knowing what question would be coming next. I smiled at him for the save.

"Well welcome home sweetie and hope to see you come down soon." Lisa said and gave me another quick hug. Once we all walked into the house I went to take my bags to my room.

"I'll be right back, taking these to my room." I said and they both nodded as I walked up to my room. I sighed as I walked into my room. I was back in my childhood room at my parents' house. Yeah, this wasn't what vacation was to some people. Some people it was a beach or even somewhere like Vegas. Sudbury Massachusetts wasn't high on any list, but it was for me. I looked around and everything was how I left it except for the few awards I have won over the years that I sent to my parents, and they put in my room.

I looked around and saw all the pictures still in frames on my dresser. I grabbed one of the frames and sighed. It was Chris and I at dinner before Prom. We were sitting together at the restaurant table and having a good time laughing at something that was said. I smiled lightly at this, remembering that night. We had already planned on making the trip to LA by this time and we were just counting down the days until we could leave town.

We knew LA was for us and we knew dreams would come true. Another thing we knew was we would always be there for the other one. I couldn't explain to you how much it hurt to know he wasn't there while we were both achieving our dreams to celebrate with each other. I had a few friends in the acting industry and of course the music industry but none of those friendships compared to what I used to have with Chris.

"I wanted to ask what happened there, but your dad said not to mention it." Martha said as she stood in my bedroom doorway. I put the picture down and sighed looking at her.

"It's nothing mom, we just drifted apart." I said. I put one of my suitcases on the bed.

"Drifted apart? That's impossible." Martha said.

"Well, it happened. We got to LA and things got too busy and we lost contact and drifted apart." I said and she sighed.

"But it was you and Chris...?"

"Right was me and Chris, not anymore." I snapped and she sighed but nodded.

"I will let you get unpacked." Martha said, I nodded. She walked up to me and pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek. "I am so happy to have you home." She said and I smiled in the embrace. Once we broke apart, she walked out. I sat on my bed and sighed looking at the picture on my dresser. I felt tears fill my eyes and I just shook my head willing them away.

My only fear about coming back home; the truth about me and Chris would be revealed.