Asking For Opinions.

“Now you're making me more excited about this place, Dee.” Alex says, listening to my idea for her wedding venue.

“Did you take pics at least?” She asks, her eyes wide open. “No. But I figure it's best if you see it for yourself.”

She smiles, nodding at me. “He's got you head over heels. And I know he feels the way. Actually giving into this? That's crazy.”

I roll my eyes, waving my hand at her. “Please, don't make me feel cringy. I like things the way they are. He's great. He's wonderful. And he wants to meet you.”

“Oh, really?” She raises her eyebrows. “I think he deserves it. Letting you get married in his backyard.”

She chuckles, nodding. “Yes. You're right.”

I sigh, leaning against the frame of her bed. “I'm so glad you're getting married. It's amazing. Where is Mark, anyway? I haven't seen him in a long time.”

“Yeah, he's coming back soon. He keeps talking about it all night. Every single night. Like he tells me he's excited. And then he tells me he's scared. It's confusing.”

“I think you should reassure him. And vice versa. Obviously. The more he thinks about it, the bigger deal he makes of it. Tell him to chill out. Take a vacation or something.” I roll my eyes.

“He's definitely gonna get a vacation, alright.” She smirks, moving her hand against the bedspread playfully.

“It's kinda nice you forfeited all those bachelor/bachelorette parties. Those seem so tacky.” I say, looking at her. She nods in agreement.

“We're mature enough. I don't wanna think about a stripper around him and the boys and I know he wouldn't wanna think the same for me either. It's weird. We are each other's. And that's it. No sharing.” She gives a kind smile.

“You're absolutely adorable.” I grin, making her roll her eyes at me. She lays down, thinking for a while.

“Are you ever gonna tell Adam? Now that you're both in love?” She raises her eyebrows.

“Which part specifically?”

“All of it. How you started it. How it ended.” I shake my head. “I don't wanna scare him. I think those kinds of things deserve to be in the past.”

“You don't think he deserves to know your past?” “The kind that'll end me up in jail? I don't think so. What if something happens and then he just points at me and says, “Yes, officer this one right here.” I don't think so, Al.”

She chuckles. “You're right. Never mind it. I can't wait to see you both together at the wedding.” She grins. “Me too. I'm excited to see you tie knots with a dude you fell in love with 6 years ago.”

“Better than being alone. Plus I'm content. I can cross one thing off my list.” She smiles, staring dreamily at the ceiling.

“Yeah.”

My phone buzzes and I look down to see who it is. Adam's name pops up. I grin, picking up the call.

“Hey, sweetheart.” He greets. “Hey, love.”

“Are you free? I really need your help with something.” “What is it?”

“I just wanted to show you the progress. I need your opinion about something.”

“Okay. Sure. Uh…I'm with Alex. Maybe I can bring her along? She can check the place out?”

He chuckles softly; it sounds so sexy. “Sure. Bring some food, please.” “Anything for you.”

I hang up and catch Alex grinning wide at me. “I love this new you.”

“Shut up. Let's go. We're going to get some food.”

“Mm. Sounds good! Let's.”

We walk out of the house and get into my car. I drive away from her property and head for a drive-thru. “What are you craving?” I ask her. She shakes her head. “I've cheated too many times so I'm gonna take something simple.”

“Okay, you fucking cow.” I roll my eyes and start ordering food.

“Why are you so quiet?” I ask her as we wait for the food. She shakes her head, smiling at me. “Nothing. It's just different. For one, you never ask anyone for permission. Given your history. You're like an obedient little puppy aren't you?”

I sigh, staring at her. “Al, I don't wanna fuck this up. He's actually the first person who is genuinely interested in me. At least the good parts. And even at the worst. And he's amazing in bed. So come on.” I roll my eyes, grabbing the food and paying.

I drive away from there and head to his guesthouse. “Well, if you put it that way then I'm glad for that. Was Jamie that bad?”

“He was toxic. I feel like I did a lot to keep him happy. But Adam tries to keep me happy. And I do the same. I loved Jamie. But it was all for the grip.”

“A long time to be running with that guy.” I chuckle. “Tell me about it. It's messed up. I always think to myself how I tolerated that. But then I had no choice. I feel like I have nothing. Until it was time to run. Alone. And I felt free.”

“Do you think he's ever gonna come back?”

“Definitely. Hopefully I'll be ready to deal with that.” “How?” I shake my head. “I don't know. But I'm gonna make sure no one else is involved. He's my problem. Always will be.”

She lets out a sigh and keeps quiet through the rest of the ride.

“Okay. We're here.” I say, pulling over to the road up to Adam's guesthouse.

“Holy shit.” She utters, getting down from the car. I smile, grabbing the food and walking to the house. “Are you ready to meet my boyfriend?” I ask. “Ready as I'll ever be, princess.” She smirks, eagerly walking next to me.

***