Movie Night.

The doorbell rings, making me jump from the bed. “Fuck! Fuck!” I grab my sweat pants and put them on quickly, rushing to the door.

“Who is it?”

“Movie guy!”

I chuckle, opening the door. Adam grins at me in his casual polo shirt and jeans. Honestly I really hate polo shirts. Makes one look really old and sort of like a dad. But I guess that's just me.

“Come in, come in. Have a seat.” I point to the couch and he nods, waving a bag in front of me.

“What's that?” I ask, following him to the couch.

“Well, I brought food. Pizza. Some junk or…if you wanna eat healthy…i got you a salad.”

“Oh, that's really nice of you, Adam. Thank you. I'll go get the drinks.” “Great.” He sits down while I walk to my kitchen.

“What movie were you thinking?” I ask. “How about Oppenheimer?”

“What?!” I grab the drinks and walk toward him. “Yeah, I mean, I've never seen that movie before. I know it was big when it came out and all that stuff, but I never really had the time to watch it. Is that okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Anything you'd like. I haven't seen it either, so it'll be good for both of us.” I grin, sitting next to him.

He relaxes on the seat, laid back and ready. “Let's do this.”

We started playing the movie but in all honesty, I didn't even process the movie. I'd probably have to watch it again. I lean back, with my arms crossed, watching Cillian talking but it's just mumbling to me, with my thoughts clouding my ears.

“What a great movie. Don't you think so?” He asks me, the second it ends.

“It was really interesting.” I'm really out of words at this point.

He stretches and looks at me. “I can't help but notice you've been distracted the whole movie.”

“Ah, fuck. Nah, just really tired.”

“Yeah?”

“I spoke to Tyler's mom yesterday. Man, she was brutal. And she started swearing and stuff.”

“What did she say?” “Well I asked her why she'd let him starve and she said she'd do what she wanted and I should mind my business what she'd do with him.”

“Wow.” He utters, shaking his head. “Sounds like a bitch.” “I feel bad for the kid.” “Hey, if it gets worse, we can handle it.”

“We?” I ask, raising my brows. “Yeah, you and me. I think it'll be fun. Don't you think so?”

I smile and nod my head. I stand up and stretch my arms. “That was a helluva movie, A.”

“Yeah, well, maybe next time you pick the movie.”

“Next time?” “Do I even need to ask?” He stands up as well, staring down at me.

“Always should ask.” “Alright then.” He smirks, taking a step towards me. “Can I take you out again sometime?”

“Yes, I would like that.” I smile, not keeping my eyes off him. “Great. I'll see you soon, Olive.” I chuckle.

He squints, reading my reaction enough to step closer to me. “I'm trying, but should I ask about this next step?”

“No. You don't. You know the answer to this already.”

He chuckles, shaking his head before leaning down for a kiss.

The million thoughts rush into my head, everything with Jamie and our life before Alex's face pops into my head screaming to move on. Alright, Al. I'll do as you say.

***