Wicken

Wicken handed Will the latest edition of his life put down on paper. "You know, you still haven't told me what you do with all of these. I've given you like, six of these things, and each time I ask you keep telling me you need more in order for you to spill the beans. Seeing as how I'm the only person who has gone past three books, I think it's time you tell me."

The old man's eyes lit up like he'd just been handed a pile of gold. "Yes, I suppose you're right. Sit down, boy."

"Alright." Wicken took a seat and watched the man curiously.

Will paged through the leather bound journal, actually giggling with excitement. "I'm a librarian of sorts. I keep books of all kinds, but the personal stories of those who have survived are the ones I wish to compile most of all. We need a new account of history - true, honest history."

"I can respect that," Wicken said. The human race was officially an endangered species. His journals might soon be the only fact-based account of what happened, or the only remaining proof humans had ever existed in the first place. The thought frightened him.

"I also need these books for the revolution."

"What? Why?"

"Because they are the only proof of what is happening on this ship and others like it," Will explained. "The Gorgachan officials will not believe the words from our mouths, but they might believe the ones we put on paper. It's why I can't tell just anyone what the books are for. After all, they could try to skew the information in favor of their favorite side of the argument."

A small whistle escaped Wicken's lips. "I was under the impression that the Gorgachan didn't care about us."

"That's what they want you to think. It's all part of their plan to dominate us. Even those who are in favor of the revolution can't be trusted, my boy." He winked, his gaze only briefly raising from the book in his hands.

"Got it," Wicken said. "Well, enjoy."

"Oh, I always do."

He nodded and made a beeline back toward his apartment. Good thing I'm not going to be here for much longer.