Fifty-Nine - Wicken

A low groan escaped my mouth as someone poked me in the gut, hard. Somehow I managed to open my eyes. I hurt. Everywhere. From my head to my toe all I felt was a dull, throbbing, constant pain. Layla had done a number on me and then some. While Talia got sent back to my apartment, I was taken to a cell and punished enough for the both of us.

It started with extreme temperature changes. First the room was unbearably cold. Right when I couldn't take it anymore and every one of my joints ached, the heat got cranked and I spent hours parched while drenched in my own sweat. Naturally, sleep was hard to come by. Even I had wanted to pass out, Layla wouldn't let me. Someone was always on guard to make sure I didn't close my eyes. She let me rest for a couple of hours before letting Cory have his own fun and beat the living snot out of me. He had no qualms with using his teeth to draw blood. Getting cut by a knife had sucked big time. The dull tearing of being chewed on was a heck of a lot worse.

Eventually, I was given reprieve and allowed to fall back asleep. It couldn't have been for all too long because I sure didn't feel all too rested. When I opened my eyes and saw Cory kneeling in front of me, I instinctively brought my hands up in front of my face like a total pussy. I just didn't care anymore about being tough.

He laughed and moved away. "I brought you a present."

"Don't want it," I grumbled. Chances were it was just another beating, or worse.

"Too bad. I wouldn't turn this pretty thing down," he commented.

Okay, that got my attention. I uncovered my face and lifted my gaze. Standing behind Cory was Chevelle, in the flesh. "I..."

"You can thank me later," he said and shoved her toward me. She stumbled a little then knelt down to touch my face. Her hands were cool and refreshing and just as soft as I remembered them feeling.

"What are you..." I couldn't even finish asking the question. Talking hurt way too much.

She shook her head and mouthed out "later."

Cory laughed again. "You are an obedient little minx. I told her she couldn't speak unless I gave her permission to, you see. You could learn a thing or two from her about obedience, Wick."

I had a number of choice words for him, but I didn't dare utter them. Instead, I closed my eyes and savored her touch on my face. This couldn't be real, she couldn't be there, yet...she was.

"Go back to bed. When you wake up next, I'll make sure you wake up in your bed. Again, you can thank me later."

Confused as all get out, I did as he commanded. Sleep sounded like an awesome idea.