Twenty-One - Wicken

He's going to recognize me right away and it'll all be over. I tried to keep my face low and hidden under the black cap I had borrowed from one of the staff lockers. It wasn't part of the uniform, but without it I'd be screwed.

Timber's room had been ordering a lot of room service. That was my first tip-off that it was him. Logically speaking, he had to lay low. If the paparazzi caught sight of him, there was no way he'd be able to keep the secret about the press conference for long. People would ask a lot of questions. The other tip-offs included the use of the name "Tim Smith," and the fact that he was in a suite ordering a romantic breakfast for two and then a large lunch that could feed five people. That's what the records on file at the hotel indicated at least. I might have been wrong, but it was worth a shot. Eventually, I'd figure it out if I dug around enough.

The lunch was what I was delivering, and the whole way down the hallway, five doors away from my room, I prayed silently that one of his guests answered the door instead of him.

"Food's here!" a young man announced. I'd never seen him before in my life, and for that I was thankful. His green eyes lit up at the sight of the trays with food. He opened the door wider. "Come on in."
I wheeled the food in with caution, keeping my gaze down and making sure my hat covered my face just in case Timber was nearby. Casually, I wandered over to a small table near the door where there was a potted plant. Seemed like a good place to place the bug. I dropped it into the pot.

"Dude?" The frowned as he watched me.

"Hmm? Sorry," I said, keeping my voice low. "My leg fell asleep earlier, just trying to walk it off. Is there anything else you need?"

"Nah, think this is it. Thanks."

I started for the door.

"Hang on!"

I winced, facing him again. "Hmm?"

"Don't you want a tip?" he asked, reaching into his wallet.

"No, thanks, gratuity is included in the price," I lied. There was no point in taking his money. What was I going to do with it? Soon, money wouldn't matter to anyone on Earth. Once the news of the Armageddon broke, everyone was going to go nuts. Looting would begin and society as a whole would be worthless. There was not a lot of time left.

The guy frowned, but didn't argue with me. "O...kay. Well, thanks!"

"Uh-huh," I managed. Finally, I escaped out the door. Once it closed behind me, I put on my earpiece, switching it on, and waited.

Footsteps could be heard, lots of walking going on in that room. In the background, I could hear a few different conversations going on, and a dog whining.

"Okay, one more time, then I'm done throwing your ball," Timber said. There was a loud thud as the ball hit the door, followed by the scampering of paws on the ground.

"She's missed you so much," an older, female voice said. "I haven't seen her this energetic since you left."

"I'm just going to have to spoil you rotten then, yes I am." Timber was giving the dog baby talk. How cute.

The bug worked. Time to head back to my room and eavesdrop.