Epilogue

"Done," Wicken said, to no one in particular. He lifted his gaze to the closed door Chevelle was resting behind. They'd gone through a lot, too much for two people their age. And there was still a lot to make it through.

Slowly, he got out of his chair and went in, making sure to be quiet about it in case she was in fact sleeping. What he saw was her lying awake, her hand on her growing stomach, and her gaze glued to the ceiling above her.

"Everything okay?" he asked. "I thought you said you were wiped."

"I am," she said, her voice just above a whisper. "Just have a lot on my mind."

Wicken nodded, lying down next to her. He snaked an arm around her waist. The having a baby thing grew on him rather quickly. Because he knew she wasn't as enthused about the idea of parenthood, he kept his excitement toned down to a more appropriate level. The last thing he wanted to do was overwhelm her. As she grew bigger, as he saw more of the development up close and personal with his own eyes, that excitement was getting harder to hide. It certainly wasn't the reaction he'd been expecting himself to have. They were only eighteen and nineteen years old. Though, he felt far older than just a teenager. Life had made him grow up fast.

He pet her hair. "Try not to think too hard."

"Too late."

Gently, he kissed her lips. "Give yourself a break then."

She closed her eyes and returned the kiss, deepening it and pulling him closer to her. "Easier said than done. You know we have to get out of here, right?"

"Yes, I've come to the same conclusion. As much as I want to be useful and help save what remains of our world, I think it's time to bail. You and the little it are a lot more important to me," he agreed.

She laughed. "Little it? Seriously? You couldn't think of something more...cute?"

"I'm not exactly a fuzzy, wuzzy, cutesy kind of guy."

"I don't know, I think you're pretty cute..."

"Shush. You don't always have to be right."

She rolled her eyes and snuggled herself up against his body. "So it's settled then? We're going to Sanctuary?"

"Yes," he said, nodding. "We're going to Sanctuary."