Fifty-Two - Timber

"So how awkward sea turtle was the meeting with Lara's family?" Chevelle asked, unloading a bag of new books and movies onto the coffee table in the living room.

I groaned. "Pretty awkward. They went to the park. She ran into some friends there who invited her over for dinner. I imagine it will turn into a sleepover since there's no school tomorrow. Kind of sucks."

"Even though we still need to powwow?"

"We have lots of opportunities to do that," I said. "If it was so important, we could have done it right after the video call."

"I was too distraught to think," she snapped.

Throwing up my hands, I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. "Fine, but my point still stands. We could have talked about it a lot sooner than now."

"I didn't see you leaping to bring it up either."

"Why are you fighting with me?"

"Because you're being a dick."

I poured my glass, gripping it tightly in my hand. Did not need her crap right now, at all. "Look, if you want to talk, then let's talk. Call me more names or give me more attitude and I'm going to go hide out in the office for a while."

She huffed. "I was waiting until after you talked with Paul to bring it all up, okay? Like, does he know what's even going on in the first place?"

More than she realized. Since I couldn't tell her everything happening behind the scenes, I had to take a different approach to her question. "Paul knows about the video call, yes. The Achlivans know too. Remem-
ber, they monitor that information. We were given permission to use the technology and make contact so Patriarch can come up with a way to help get Wicken and Talia back."

"Right, duh, but...because of what happened, has anything changed?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Not that I'm aware of. Paul's supervisors want to meet me finally. When I'm there, I'll deal with the issue myself."

"Going to try persuading them into giving in?"

"Yes, I'll try, and if that doesn't work, I'll resort to doing something more drastic." Time to play my part. If I could sell the story to Chevelle, then anyone would buy it. Well, anyone but maybe Nathan, but I didn't have to worry about him making things more complicated.

Chevelle must have been truly shocked by my words because she raised both of her eyebrows and sat back on the couch. "How drastic are you talking?"

I glanced up at the cameras and lowered my voice. "When I need to, I can be sneaky. I'll find a way to get Layla what she wants so we can get them back again."

"You would do that?" She swallowed, her eyes growing wide.

"Yes," I stated. "And we really shouldn't be talking about this anymore. Just know I got it under control." I winked.

She nodded slowly, her gaze never leaving me as I made my way out of the kitchen and through the apartment. With nothing more than a wave, I retreated to the bedroom. I'd just told a pretty massive lie to Chevelle. Guilt didn't fill me as much as I had anticipated it would. Somehow, I knew she would understand...eventually.