Fifty-Six - Timber

Defeated, that was all I could feel. Sure, I had what I wanted, but at what cost? What was going to happen now because I was selfish? I couldn't enjoy being with Talia when I was so disgusted with myself.

She opened her mouth to speak.

I shook my head. "Don't tell me I did nothing wrong."

"That's not what I was going to say."

"Okay, fine, talk."

Taking my hand in her own, she gave it a squeeze. "What's done is done. Sitting and analyzing it to death isn't going to make things better. If you want to make what you did right, then you should be doing everything you can to get both of them back here. You could have fought her more on it. Like you said, though, she'd have found her own way."

"I let her because I would have wanted her to let me," I whispered. "But that doesn't mean it's okay."

"No, it doesn't, you're right. Sometimes you have to put your foot down regardless of how you feel."

"Exactly." I closed my eyes. "And all I cared about was you."

She laid her head on my shoulder. "You're sweet. I..."

"Hmm?" I glanced down at her, curious as to what she was going to say next.

Lia lifted her gaze to mine and gave me a weak smile. "I love you."

That wasn't what she was originally going to say. I could tell by the slight hint of distress in her eyes. For the time being, I would let it slide. We were safe. We didn't need to argue or get into dark conversations. There would be future moments for such a thing.

"It's really gone," she whispered. "Home."

I nodded. Neither of us had watched Earth get hit. I'd initially thought we'd be safe to go up to the Roof after a few hours had passed. Man, was I wrong. People were laying out in the park, staring up in awe at the planet. The aftereffects of being struck were still active and playing themselves out. Smoke billowed into the atmosphere from out of what I imagined were volcanoes. I could still see the Earth quaking in aftershocks from the hit. And the ocean...talk about a mess. I immediately regretted going up to the Roof.

But part of my reasoning was to go see if Patriarch knew anything, heard anything that could put my mind at ease. Too soon, I suppose. I could hope all the same. Talia and I didn't stay long. We went down to the garden and found a place to hide underneath the trees. I'm not sure how long we'd been there. Hours, I would guess.

For a long time, neither of us said a word. There was no point in talking anymore. I was ready to wake up from my nightmare.