23

.

.

.

.

"Be careful what you wish for, I see it all the time / The money and the diamonds and the things that shine / Can't buy you true happiness."

Lonely Millionaire - Kacey Musgraves

—April 7th, 1990

Yesterday's scramble to leave DCG in a rush had brought Lita Monroe to her current situation. She'd been sitting with the band's producer, discussing the first single of their next album, when Jack walked in.
He looked tired, hair messed and slightly frizzy, still a little wet from his morning shower. Lita was finishing her conversation quickly, wanting to leave soon and not wishing to run into Jack on her way out. He looked at her intently–he'd been looking for her.

"Paul, can I talk with her for a sec? Alone, please?" He sat on the couch opposite Lita's swiveling chair. Paul got up, took his papers and notes with him, and left. Lita turned to Jack, starting to pick up her things.

"I saw your suitcase missing from the closet this morning. Are you going somewhere?" he asked. There was a sugary tone in his voice, as if his sweet-talk would push Lita to tell him the whole truth. Jack tried not to be angry, but Lita could see the flicker on his lips, a subtle outrage on his features.

"Yeah, I'm going to visit Chris for a little while," Lita deflected from the truth. Jack had not been overly suspicious in the last month, but Lita was careful not to mention Axl in front of him in fear of confrontation. She hadn't spoken to Chris in a few months, but he would always cover for Lita if Jack happened to call him.

"Oh, what for?" he asked more sympathetically than he had been earlier. Jack seemed to be accepting the lie as truth. "Apparently it has something to do with my mother. He said she was trying to put another restraining order on him–keep him from getting his money from my dad. He wanted to talk to me about lawyers and stuff, wanted to get into dad's will." That situation was true, but it had taken place in 1987, just after her father's death. The band was in its early stages, and she'd never told Jack this, never explained her family situation.