51

"When I was young, I'd listen to the radio

Waitin' for my favorite songs

When they played I'd sing along. It made me smile

These were such happy times and not so long ago

How I wondered where they'd gone

But they're back again

Just like a long lost friend, all the songs I loved so well

That they're startin' to sing, so fine

When they get to the part, where he's breakin' her heart

It can really make me cry."

Yesterday Once More - The Carpenters

.

.

.

---February 9th, 1993, early morning

A nightmare wracked Axl's brain, like a little ghost inside his brain, pounding on the sides of his head, begging to get out; the pain was immeasurable. It knocked and knocked, causing Axl to jump awake, hyperventilating at the thoughts flying around his consciousness. More visions of his little girl, the ones he's been having for a year, where she runs just fast enough to escape his grasp, into the deep dark abyss where he'd never find Sharon again.

Now that darkness surrounded his shaking figure. Axl got out of bed, not thinking about the possibility of waking Lita's sleeping figure near him. He walked the dark halls, processing what he'd just seen. Axl had been having the same nightmare for a week now, haunting him everytime he closed his eyes, speaking to him in visions, like an unspoken prophecy he was supposed to decipher but had no knowledge how to.

He entered the kitchen, reaching in the dark for the orange overhead light, twisting the dial slowly so as to not hurt his eyes. Once he could see, Axl rummaged through the cabinets, fixing for a drink. He filled his cup with a half open bottle of vodka, spitting it out when he remembered that it was just past 4am. He took a sip of a different cup, the cold water rushing down his throat, clearing his body of the sweet chill.

Axl heaved a sigh, rubbing his eyes; he knew these nightmares meant something. As a child, Axl always dreamed of dying. He always interpreted it fearfully: the constant reminder that he was a definite life, as was everybody, was one of the pushing forces for Axl's actions. As a teenager, he lived on the edge: fighting cops, chasing girls, and searching for his purpose on this planet. This was the only life Axl got to live, so he would make the most of it. That was his interpretation.