Chapter Three

Phoenix sat near Aang by the fire, her hands out to feel the warmth "You say you went down in the storm?" Sokka questioned him "It came upon suddenly. The weather went crazy just after I left home" Aang looked up at the taller boy "Crazy as in what?" Aang turned his head "It was very windy and shaky at the southern air temple" Aang stopped facing Phoenix to look at Sokka.  

Kanna got up from her seat when Aang mentioned the Great Comet Festival, the old woman looked at the wall where there were drawings of all the bending element logos "Water, Earth, Fire, Air" She pointed up at the drawings "Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked" Phoenix stopped looking at Kanna and decided to look at her warmed hands, she was sad about what the fire nation caused, all the damages they did. 

"only the avatar, master of all four elements could stop them." Kanna froze "but when the world needed him the most, he vanished" Phoenix looked at Aang, the avatar. "and so the fire nation marched and laid waste, plunging us into a time of darkness" Phoenix clenched her jaw as Kanna explained the horrible things the fire nation done. 

Kanna told Aang that the southern air temple was the first one to successfully get attacked and that he was a 100 years old "Wait- he's a hundred?" Phoenix asked loudly "It seems to be" She answered before Aang stormed out in disappointment, he couldn't believe what Kanna just  had told him. 

Everyone walked out after that, walked out with only their thoughts and surprisement that the last Airbender was at the southern water tribe "Hey" She felt Sokka's hand on her shoulder "hmm?" Phoenix hummed when she turned around to see Sokka "I need your help with the kids" She nodded her head with a smile, she liked helping train the younger children for comeback In case the fire nation attacks them, all the children seemed to like her. 

"What are your thoughts on Aang?" She asked the older boy "I don't know yet" Sokka answered while he foot crunched the hard snow "Phoenix" Sokka stared at something,  Phoenix followed his eyes and saw what it was, a large ship with gray smoke coming from it... the fire nation. Sokka ran to where the kids were "you two grab the sticks" One of the younger boy complained and threw his hands up in the air "the fire nation are coming. Hurry!" Phoenix clapped her hands, hurrying them to get ready for battle. 

Katara ran with Aang "The fire nation!" Katara informed her older brother "I know. We spotted them.  Get your posts now!" Sokka yelled at the hard working kids that surrounded him . "Here" Sokka got one of the larger sticks with a pointy arrow and handed it to Phoenix "you need to protect yourself too" She looked down at her hand then back up at Sokka with a nod "Hurry up!" She yelled, the children ran everywhere while readying up. 

"I don't understand, why are they here?" Katara asked, she was helping Sokka put on his brown glove "They want him" Phoenix pointed to Aang "shes correct." Kanna popped up "he's more than the last Airbender, he's the avatar" Sokka was pissed that his tribe was getting attack all because of Aang "I knew he was hiding something! When the world needed the Avatar the most, he vanished because hes a coward" Phoenix decided to defend Aang "He was stuck in an ice cube for 100 years!" she yelled at Sokka "oh so now you're defending him, huh?"  His nose flared  "Sokka they've landed" A man with his hair tied up informed Sokka "you both need to hide" Sokka glanced at both of the girls "I'm going" Phoenix bit the inside of her cheek "No you're not" Sokka turned away but Phoenix pushed him back "I helped you build these tools" She raised the pointy stick towards his face "I'm going. That's final." Sokka sighed "fine. Come on"

"I'm Prince Zuko. First born son of Fire Lord Ozai" Phoenix's grip on the weapon tighten, her breathing gotten heavy, she couldn't believe Zuko would be apart of this, attack the water tribe. "you okay?" Sokka asked in a soft voice "Yeah" Phoenix shook her head before paying attention on what Zoku had to say. 

"we have no desire to take your homes. We merely seek someone who does not belong here" He meant Aang, the avatar. Phoenix went closer to the wood gate to look outside, Zuko and a whole group stood there, waiting to be orders. Zuko had his arms behind his back, the scar on his eyes healed. Phoenix remembered when the Fire Lords burnt his face, that day hurt her. Not because she got burnt while trying to stop it, but because the fire lord hurt his own blood. 

"Turn him over now or i'll burn this place to the ground." Zuko threatened. Sokka turned around "Where is he?" He asked in an angry tone, he wanted to keep his village safe and turn in Aang, Katara tried to stop him. While Katara tried to keep Aang safe, Phoenix stared at Zuko, she felt her eyes watered but she needed to stay strong. She blinked a few times before holding up her weapon.

Sokka soon came back with Aang and his new weapon "you're not going to give him over are you?" Phoenix asked with worry "No, that's why I brought this" He showed her the white club. He opened the wooden gate and was the only one that walked out so the others couldn't get hurt. Sokka challenged Zuko to fight each other since they were both leaders, which caused Zuko to use his fire powers. 

Phoenix couldn't believe Zuko, he got angrier and more violent from the last time she saw him, which was years ago. Sokka hurried to the gate, but before he could make it Zuko aimed his fire and blew the gate up. Luckily, everyone ran out from the way so no one got injured besides Sokka.

"Sokka!" Phoenix ran to the injured man who laid on the ground, she checked to see if he was okay "I'm fine" Phoenix looked up at Zuko, who was slowly walking in their direction. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the familiar ginger "Phoenix?" His face softened after realizing "that would be me." She made eye contact, he quickly changed his face expression "You betrayed  us?!" He shouted loudly "wh-what is he talking about?" Sokka panted. "Oh she didn't tell you?" Zuko laughed, her secret was about to get exposed. "What? Tell us what?" Sokka breathed heavily when he got up from the ground 

"She's a fire bender" Zuko exposed her, everyone gasped including Sokka "wait what?" He backed away from Phoenix once Zuko said that "I trained her, got to admit she's good at it" Zuko complimented, but no one was happy about it. "is he telling the truth?" Katara had a looked of betrayal, she was hurt. "I-" Sokka cut her off "You liar! We took you in!" Sokka shouted "You belong with us, not them." Zuko took a step closer to Phoenix "Let's make this easier, if she and the avatar comes with us, we'll leave peacefully" 

Phoenix finally looked up, she turned around to see everyone staring at her in shock, then she made eye contact with Aang, he looked scared. Phoenix turned her head to face Zuko "I'm not going with you" Zuko smiled "you are" He stopped smiling and had a serious face plastered on "No, I'm not." She dropped her weapon on the ground. "You told me to leave" She pushed Zuko away from her "I would have never left if it wasn't because of you!" She pushed him again but with more force 

Zuko clenched his jaw  "Because you're weak! You've always been weak! We didn't want someone as weak as you to be apart of our nation"That made Phoenix mad, her hands were now full of fire and she swung her hand to Zuko, but he dodged it quickly. "Looks like someone is fired up" He joked before attacking her back. Zuko threw a ball of fire that nearly hit her leg, but luckily she slid across the snow and dodged. 

"you've gotten stronger, i'll give you that" he taunted her before he threw a large ball of fire towards her, it it her leg, she cried in pain as the stingy sensation burned her pale leg. Zuko regretted it, he never wanted to hurt her but he had to, to look strong and defense.   

A big rush of air knocked everyone on the ground, Aang. 

A/N

I TRIED. the backstory of Phoenix and Zuko will be in one of the chapters :3