~ Crazy people don't need reasons ~

Ruby's perspective

James is built like a soldier, he acts like one too. Ethan has become another person around him, he's darker and colder. I never knew he could be serious. James's blonde hair falls across his forehead as they lean over the centre table. His ocean blues are glued to a map that rests on it and they both mumble about plans.

"We need somewhere to hide out for a while,"

"Why can't we stay here?" I ask.

James looks to me, his lips tug up but his eyes are gloomy. "The police already know this hide out, they'll likely come here soon. But it's alright! I've got places all around the globe, while we're finding Ethan's sister we can stay in my places,"

"Where would she be?"

He falters for a moment, his teeth digging into his bottom lip. "Probably... Heaven," His gaze flickers to Ethan as he crosses his arms.

"Where is... heaven?"

"Costa Rica, it's a heavily guarded base,"

"Well... couldn't she be somewhere else?"

"I doubt it," Ethan butts in, "God wants to kill us for lying to him, he'll want to lure me into his base where he knows he has an advantage,"

"Then... wouldn't it be a suicide mission to go in?"

"Yes."

"So then what are we going to do!?"

"Get my sister."

I pause, my stomach twisting at the thought. "There has to be some other way," I stand, stepping towards Ethan as he hunches over the table. He backs away, eyes furrowing as he glares at me. "Ethan..."

"I won't let you stop me, it's my sister, she's all... I have left,"

"You have me!" I snap.

His expression softens as he rests his hands on my shoulders. "I'm sorry, Ruby. I need her."

"I- I don't understand,"

"I know you had a terrible relationship with your family, so of course you don't, but..." he pauses, glaring at James.

"I- I'll just go get some firewood quickly," James stutters before stumbling out the door.

"My parents were killed when we were young, she... protected me, she worked her ass off most days just to keep the roof over our head and food on the table, but she got desperate, joined the gang in hopes of things getting better, it was fine at first..."

"Until they asked her to kill,"

"And she couldn't, but if she didn't she'd be killed,"

"So you killed them for her,"

"And she hated me for it, she only ever wanted the best for me. Now she's suffering because I got caught and God knows the truth,"

"I don't understand... why would God be upset about that?"

He shrugs. "Crazy people don't need reasons, they just do,"

I sigh. Ethan inches closer, wrapping his strong arms around me and pulling me against him. I rest my head on his chest. "This is all a mess," I whisper, "A big fucking mess."

"I know baby, I know,"

"I'm still mad at you for getting me involved,"

"I'm sorry,"

"But... I understand, and I want to help,"

He smiles and kisses the top of my head. "You're perfect,"

"No I'm not, nobody is perfect,"

"To me, you are. You're smart... you're pretty... you're nice," he pauses, "we're complete opposites,"

"No, we're just smart, pretty and nice in our own ways."

His smile grows, blooming into a massive grin. "I love you, Ruby Winters."

"I love you, Ethan Woods," a masculine voice calls out from besides us. James bursts into laughter as Ethan turns to him, a death glare coating his face. "You're just too cute!" He teases.

I giggle as I pull away, wandering back to my bed and tucking myself in. James throws the wood in the fireplace and sets it alight. I watch the flames flicker and dance as the boys chat about battle strategies. Part of me feels relaxed, cosy in this dimly lit room, but my stomach still twists at the hard days to come.

'Surely there's a way I can help,' I can tell myself, 'I'm going to help somehow.'

But as the light turns to ashes and smoke floating through the chimney, my eyes grow heavy.

'I'll think about it tomorrow.'

I lay down, my head resting on the bunched up blankets which form a pillow, and I tug the thin sheet up to my chin. I let my eyes close, but can feel Ethan as he crawls in besides me, wrapping an arm around my waist and warming my soul.

He kisses the back of my neck for a moment, humming delicate tunes and whispering sweet nothings, easing me into a deep sleep.