~ Calm before the storm ~

"You can't just leave!"

"You've been warning me for years that he'll find me and never let me go, look, I love him! I do! But I just... He'll be so mad, and I... I can't face him right now, I want my life, I liked my life before him and I don't need to be dragged down again!"

She bites her lip - hard.

"Erin-" I raise my hand to her cheek but she swats it away.

"He'll chase you, you realise that right?"

"I know."

"He'll never stop. You might as well just kill him,"

I flinch. "I... I'm sure he'll move on,"

Her eyes glow with anger and her voice is laced with resentment. "He. Won't."

I sigh. "Then I'll just have to hide really well, now won't I?"

And so, I do.

~~~~~

He's out.

~~~~~

It's been three months since he was released. 

At first it was okay, Ethan got out, found I was gone and freaked out. I expected as much. What I didn't expect was that he'd hack into James's accounts and track me to the hideout I had and jump on the next plane. James informed me before he arrived, but then he had to ghost me so that Ethan wouldn't see our communications.

I got a train ticket which had over 10 destinations, picked a random stop and used the cash James gave me to get a cab over to Canada. It's been a mess, but I've made it all the way to England. With my fake ID holding strong, apparently I can stay here for a few months. Unfortunately, James never really told me where else I can go.

I can speak some Japanese but to go there for long I would need a visa, that would take too long. The only other place I can think of is... Australia. Who knows, maybe the outback life will suit me?

~~~~~

The morning sun rays slip in through the sheer curtains. The pinks, whites and red cloud my vision as petals dust the air. The light wood bench is tinted royal gold and our fresh stock has started to bloom.

I turn to Rebecca, her strawberry blonde hair curling down to her hips as she rearranges a bouquet of roses and baby's breath. Her pale green eyes are lit up as she chews her lower lip, lost in her own little world of magic.

"Should I change the sign?" I ask gently, being careful not to disturb her train of thoughts too much. She gives a little nod while pushing stray strands of hair behind her delicate ears. Her pony may be tight, but it always has a few fussy pieces.

I turn around the desk and flip the sign to "Open! Come in." Then I begin writing todays specials. We have the 'I've royally messed up' with an extra large bouquet of pink and orange tulips, the 'I forgot her birthday' with lilies, daisies and leaves for shape, and finally the 'thank you, professionally' with a mix of native flowers.

I lean against the desk again as workmen and school girls file in, chatting and looking around. Like usual, laughter fills the store. However, there is an occasional worried customer, overwhelmed by the choice.

Honestly, when I first arrived I was overwhelmed too. I'd never worked with flowers, I've never been, well... creative before. And that's why Rebecca gives me simple jobs to do, changing the water, planting things in pots, wrapping gifts and so on. If anything, I should be thankful. I came here in a rush, I couldn't find work straight away and I was completely alone. I don't know what's going on with Ethan and James, but I doubt he'll be able to track me here. I don't even use a phone right now! I'm so scared that he hates me and is hunting me down for revenge, I'd understand why.

"Ruby, over here!"

I turn, pacing over to Rebecca who's holding together some wrapping paper. As if on cue, I grab the tape and stick the edges together. She gives me a faint smile before handing the gift to a young girl.

I can't help but grin.

It's been so long since I've felt at peace.

Then again, I guess this is what they call the peace before a storm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will likely edit this in the future xo

Omg and get excited coz things are about to get JUICY