~ Epilogue ~

Ruby's POV

"Happy two years, sweetheart," his voice is husky as he walks in the backdoor. His strong muscles are on display as beads of sweat drip from his forehead. He walks over and I kiss his cheek.

"You too love," I whisper back, a smile on my face. "Now go get cleaned up, I'll deal with the firewood,"

"Of course,"

"And take those boots off before entering the bedroom!" I yell out as he makes his way around the corner. He laughs before I hear the thud of his muddy boots in the bath tub. "Good enough," I sigh to myself.

I reach out, taking Abigail's little hand in mine. "I love you, little princess." I whisper into her ear as she giggles and flails her delicate arms around in the cot.

I smile, turn away and throw some wood in the fireplace. With winter coming in fast we have to be extra prepared, especially with all the snow that's been predicted.

It's hard living in the woods. We're in a small town out in the woods, Ethan works with the timber jacks cutting wood all day and constructing new homes for the incoming tourists and new townies. I work down at the bakery when I have time, everyone loves seeing Abigail when I work so sometimes I get tips. The community is small - only 50 or so people, but it's close. I love it here, even if food and water are hard to supply sometimes. Ethan is out of trouble, and we have a family.

I step out on the porch, covering any bare skin with my cardigan to protect myself from the icy wind. I look out at the looming trees and fluttering leaves, the blue and red birds dancing in the wind with their delicate song. Ethan comes out behind me, a button up shirt shirt with light blue checkers finally coating his rugged body. A small beard grows on his chin and he's cut his hair short, he looks older. But the smile lines around his cheeks show how happy our life is.

I turn back to the first light as it seeps in through the canopy of trees. His broad hand rests on my shoulder as we just breathe - breathe in the fresh, crisp air. I let my eyes flutter closed as I remember how proud Ethan first was when we arrived, his steady and strong hands were perfect for cutting wood, and he loved his trusty axe and saw. His workplace was his sanctuary, he knew he was finally doing good, providing warmth and shelter for the people of our town. The scent of fresh pine and dirt has lingered on him since as he constantly goes out early to get some work done before crawling back to us for family time.

On the other hand, I've discovered how talented I am at baking. While it may not be as interesting as psychology, I can express myself through patterns on sourdough and colourful cupcakes. Abigail loves the icing and the aroma of freshly baked goods eases me. Life isn't as busy as in the city, while we work longer hours we still spend quality time with each other, we don't have to worry about police or enemies, and at night we can look up to a beautiful star-filled sky.

Little Abigail is the light of our lives, her soft eyes are light blue and gold in the centre. Her skin is olive and her hair is mouse brown. She's so cute! Her giggles makes my heart fill with joy. Every moment together is precious, and even if it's simple, it's perfect. We've found our home, we've found where we belong - together.

~~~~~~~

Might edit, might not, but this is the end! I hope you all enjoyed <3