CHAPTER 14

"So, who turned you into a vampire?" Sam asked. He was seated in a large chair that had fancy pleats of fabric acting a a head rest at the top of it. Colby, who sat on a couch that had the same fabric as the chair, leaned back and extended his legs onto the large wooden coffee table in front of his. "A good friend." Sam nodded and looked around the room. It was a smaller room, a study perhaps, that was down the hall from the kitchen. "Why would somebody you trust deeply turn you into a monster?" Sam said this as more of a rhetorical question but Colby answered, "I asked him to."

"Who would want that?" Colby tossed his phone down next to him and stared blankly at the wall in front of him. "I did. I thought it would solve everything. I was wrong, and I'm paying the price."

"Price?" Sam looked over to Colby who had tears welling in his eyes. "I lost him, 300 years later and it still fucks with me." Colby wiped his face and stood up, he stretched his arms over his head and picked up the tv remote. "Turn something on. I'm hungry, I'll be back later." Colby threw the remote to Sam and sped out of the house, the front door slamming behind him.

Sam pressed the on button and the rectangular screen lit up. Channel 6 was the first to appear, a news station. "And tonight," the news anchor started, "the heart breaking story of a single mom losing her four year old daughter after a long and difficult battle against cancer, and later an update on the missing Model, Samuel Golbach who has yet to be found. Stay tuned and don't miss channel six news." The anchor faded out and commercials started playing. Sam stared at the wall next to the tv, everything hit him in a flash. Before he could process any of it Colby was back standing in front of him. "Why are you shocked? You knew you were 'missing'." Colby held up air quotes around the word missing, and Sam understood what he meant. "It's just so surreal seeing it being broadcast for anyone to see." The room fell quiet as Colby left it to wash up in the bathroom.

     While Colby was off in another room Sam thought about his home, something that felt so far away. He wanted to sleep in his own bed, cook in his own kitchen, change out of his dirty clothes into a fresh pair of pajamas. Colby came back into the room snapping Sam out of his train of thought. "Are you going to let me go back home?" Colby nods. "Eventually, if you want to."

     "What? Of course I'll want to, i want to now!" Colby turned to Sam fully now. Their eyes met, Sam's full of anger, Colby's full of regret. "Well it's too bad I'm bot giving you the option now, you can leave when i tell you!" Sam backed down and turned to face away from Colby. "I get that you miss your friends, but-"

     "No! You don't get it, you made your choice! Just because you made a stupid decision 300 years ago, doesn't mean i have to pay for it now!" Sam stomped upstairs and slammed the door behind him.