CHAPTER 15

A knock on the front door wakes Colby up, before heading downstairs he glances at the clock. 02:25 AM. Colby swings his legs over his bed and heads towards the door.

     Colby blindly opened the door and was face with an old acquaintance. He held a wooden stake that was level with his heart, there was an engraving along the side of it. This wasn't a tree branch that he cut off on his way to his house, he has been waiting for this moment, and he came prepared.

     "Hello Cole, long time no see." His dark rigged voice said in a cocky tone. "Liam? You're supposed to be dead." Colby responded nonchalantly. Colby stuck his hand out and grabbed the stake, easily slipping it out of the mans hand. A smirk finds its way onto Colby's face. Colby threw the stake to the side and out of reach to the both of them. In a low whisper Colby mutters, "You do know what i have to do now, right?" Liam laughed, "Is this really what you've become, Jesus you're pathetic." Liam pulled out a gun and quickly pulled the trigger, he fired three bullets into Colby's abdomen. While they didn't effect him like they would a normal person they still stung and caused him and to stumble back onto the floor. Liam walked to the other side of the house and grabbed the stake from the other side of the floor. He hovered over Colby for a second, "You really thought I wouldn't come with a backup plan? The years are getting to you." He held the stake firm in his hands and plunged down and drove the stake through Colby's chest. Colby growled a loud cry, his hands met Liam's and he threw the man off of him. Once Colby removed the stake he looked over at Liam. "It has to go through my heart, not my lungs."

    "Oh Cole this was just a warning. Give us the cure, and maybe you'll live to see 321."

     "Too bad you won't be here to see it."

     "Huh?" Colby drove the stake into Liam's back and straight through his heart. Liam fell to the floor without a sound. Colby picked him up and left to find a place to burry the evidence.

...
     Sam heard a knock at the door, a few moments later he heard Colby's door open. He figured that Colby would handle whatever it was and Sam allowed himself to drift back off.

     Three loud bangs caused Sam to shoot out of bed, he debated leaving and figuring out who was shot. The gunshots were soon followed by a deafening yell from Colby. Sam's curiosity quickly left him and he crawled back in bed and curled into a ball, hoping he would make it through the night.

     Minutes passed and not a sound came from downstairs Sam thought he was safe until he heard the thud of a body hit the floor. Sam could tell that whatever was going on down there ended in death, he just wasn't too sure whose death it was. The front door slammed and the entire house went silent. Sam found himself becoming tired again and rolled over, his back facing the door, quickly falling asleep.

...

Colby quietly opened the front door and ran upstairs and into his room. He opened his closet and grabbed a bag off the top shelf, he filled it to the brim with clothes, then headed downstairs and filled another bag with food and water. He put the bags in his truck then went back inside and upstairs to Sam's room. He made his way to Sam's bed and shook him lightly. "Sam." He whispered. Sam's eyes opened slowly and Colby smiled at him. "Hey, we need to leave." Sam rolled his eyes and pulled the blanket over his head. "The trucks already packed, you can sleep when we get on the road." Sam huffed from under the blanket, "No." Colby, who's growing more and more frustrated, ripped the blanket off of Sam. "I won't ask again, we need to go now!" Sam, once again, rolled away from Colby and continued to ignore him. Colby dug his arms under Sam and lifted him out of bed. Sam struggled against Colby but gave up by the time they reached the stairs. "I told you we needed to leave." Sam rolled his eyes and huffed again.

Once they got out to the truck Colby placed Sam in the passenger seat, "Now go back to sleep, I'll wake you up whenever we stop somewhere." Colby threw the blanket back over Sam and shut the door.

     Colby had no idea where they were going, but as long as who ever sent Liam knew where he lived, they wouldn't be going back.