CHAPTER 9

February 29th 1724

"Happy birthday Cole!" A beautiful dark haired woman said to a slightly taller man who appeared to have just woken up. "Thank you mama." Cole said pulling her into a hug. "My baby boy is twenty, where has the time gone?" The lady had tears in her eyes caused by a mixture of fear and joy. "Technically he's only five." Both of their heads look over to see a younger girl, about the age of twelve, "Dorothea, go downstairs and help your father with breakfast please." Dorothea nodded and before walking downstairs she went up to Cole, "Happy Birthday."
"Thank you Dottie."

"So how are you planning to spend your big day Cole?" His dad, Ben, asked from the opposite side of the table. "I'm gonna meet up with an old friend." His mom, Eleanore, grinned widely. "Do we know them?" Colby nodded. "Oliver Golbach, him and his family are back in town for the next week." Dottie rolled her eyes and stuffed her mouth with more eggs. "Thats lovely, we should go visit them Dorothea." Eleanore suggested, Dottie almost spit out her eggs. She regained her composure and responded to her mom. "Not to be rude mama, but the last time a saw Alison Golbach she tried to cut my hair off." Eleanore put her hand up as if to signal Dottie to stop talking. "Nonsense, after breakfast go to your room and get ready. We'll leave at noon." Dottie rolled her eyes and continued to eat her breakfast with a snotty look on her face.

The whole family indulged in a conversation about the Golbachs, that conversation slowly turned into one about Oliver, then birthdays. Dottie didn't like that the attention on her had turned negative so in the midst of her mom speaking poorly of Dorothea she blurted out, "Cole is smitten with Viola Anderson!" The conversation stopped in an instant and eyes fell on Cole, who choked on his food. "What!" He yelled over the unbreakable silence. "Well, I think you should rethink that Cole. She's a, well-" "I'm not! We're just friends I swear." His mom stood up and grabbed her plate and walked into the kitchen, Ben followed her.

"Dorothea, what was that!" She shrugged, "Mama and dad always have something wonderful to say about you, and when it comes to me it's always bad. No matter what i do, i could win a war and they would still find a way to praise you." Cole grabbed Dorothea's hand, "It doesn't matter what they think, they think because I think you're an amazing little sister, who could brag about a million things. Now go get ready, we're leaving in an hour." Dottie nodded and went upstairs to her room.

     "Oliver, how've you been?" Cole asked, sitting next to Oliver on a bench in the park. "Good really, how about you?"
"Good."
They sat in a comfortable silence until they were sure no one was listening. "Are you still practicing?" Cole asked, Oliver looked behind him and saw his mom talking to Eleanore, and his sister talking to Dorothea. "Yup, so when do you want to do it?" Cole thought for a minute. "Are you positive you can do it?" Oliver nodded. "I've done it to about five people so far, each one was successful." Cole smiled, "Where are they now?" "Dead." Cole looked over to Oliver with fear in his eyes, "Dead?!" Cole whisper yelled and Oliver. "Yes, i had to kill them so they wouldn't say anything!" Oliver whisper yelled back. "You couldn't have compelled them?!" "A witch can't compel a vampire!" Cole slapped his hand over Oliver's mouth and waved at the couple walking by.

     "Nice going idiot, almost got us caught." Both the boys giggled at their own stupidity. "So is tonight good?" Oliver nodded and stayed quiet, he wasn't really paying attention to the conversation after that point, his focused was captured by the beautiful lake in front of them. He could get used to this.