year 4 pt.3

𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟒

𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐

The following morning, Kiara woke up later than usual, thankful that there were no classes scheduled for the day. Reflecting on the events of the previous day, she regretted agreeing to go to the Yule Ball with Nicolas. She cursed herself, wishing she had acted faster to be with JJ, who had already found a date.

She blinked, gradually adjusting to the morning light filtering through the windows before swinging her legs over the edge of the bed. The other beds in the girls' dormitory were already empty. Kiara recollected a conversation among the Gryffindor girls from the previous night, a discussion about setting up dates for the ball that morning, which had taken place as she was on the verge of sleep.

As her bare feet met the chilly parquet floor, a shiver coursed through her body, a reminder of the approaching winter and the steadily dropping temperatures.

As she reached for her clothes resting on the chair beside her bed, her eyes caught sight of a small note nestled among the clothes.

She eagerly picked up the note and began to read, a puzzled expression crossing her face. However, a smile gradually spread across her lips as she noticed the writer.

Meet me at the black lake - JJ

Dressing swiftly, she bypassed breakfast and made a beeline for the black lake, a wide grin lighting up her face.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

JJ waited anxiously by the black lake, his fingers restless as they toyed with the bracelet encircling his wrist, while he nervously bit the inside of his cheek. Doubt gnawed at him, unsure if Kiara would appear or if she had even read the note. However, all his uncertainties dissipated in an instant as he spotted Kiara emerging from the trees that lined the edge of the black lake.

"Hi JJ," greeted Kiara warmly as she approached, her voice carrying across the distance between them. Drawing nearer, she closed the gap until they stood almost face to face.

"Sup?" JJ replied, his nerves evident as he scratched and tugged at the locks of hair around his neck. "I suppose you found my note."

"Yeah," Kiara smiled back. "I figured you wanted to talk to me."

"Yeah," the blond boy began, pausing to take a deep breath and summon his courage. "I actually wanted to ask you something."

The girl smiled and nodded encouragingly, signaling to JJ that he could continue.

JJ's gaze remained fixed on the ground, his eyes tracing the worn-out Converse shoes Kiara wore, as well as his own black combat boots. He nervously gnawed on his bottom lip, hesitating before finally asking, "Do you want to go to the ball with me?"

As soon as the words left the boy's lips, Kiara felt her heart sink, a heavy weight settling in her stomach, and her expression turned emotionless. It was the same feeling she had experienced yesterday when Nicolas had informed her that JJ already had a date.

JJ's heart raced as he waited for Kiara's response, but his hopes faltered when he met her emotionless gaze. Cursing under his breath, he realized the weight of his presumption.