Three

SEBASTIAN POV

I yawned while waking up on my second full day at the Macintyre farm. It was early, but I was used to the lack of sleep.

Yesterday went better than I expected.  The guys were really easy to work alongside, especially since I had a lot to learn.  Even Andrea forgave me for being an ass.  Maybe she was quiet but so far I could leave it at that.

They always say, "Pretty is as pretty does."  She was gorgeous in general, worked hard, was a great cook, and loved the animals.  I would not force a friendship but could admit I maybe misjudged things.

Who knows.

After quickly getting dressed I made my way to the farmhouse. Taylor was already at the barn and Austin was off today, while Gramps was slowly getting the morning started.

I liked it here. Everyone was kind, we had plenty of work, and the animals were great to care for. There are 2 foals and a stallion that will be here tomorrow plus harvesting tomatoes to start. Austin told me in that a local guy helped them out part of the summer but had to help his family during the harvest so he was glad I ended up at their door.

The smell of fresh bread was in the air when I made my way into the house and washed up. Ruby was sitting at the counter kneading bread while Walt poured a cup of coffee and Andrea was busy at the stove.

"Mornin', Bash," Walt said with a smile.

"Morning. Smells great in here."

Ruby offered a smile, her eyes searching for mine though her sight was quickly fading. "Loaded home fries with sausage and warm sourdough bread. We have bread to finish up and as you can see more will be made later today."

Andrea was quiet as always so I got a cup of coffee then sat at the table, chatting with Walt as Taylor joined us.

"How are Jeffrey and Matilda?" Walt asked.

I noticed Andrea pause, her mouth twitched into a frown, as Taylor darted his eyes toward her then answered, "Uh, well, we are doing our best.  Matilda was having a tough time standing when Andy and I were at the barn this morning.  For now we can just keep gently working with her and hope for the best.  I know Andy was doing some research and wants to see if any new exercises would help, too."

We were quiet for a moment before Taylor continued, "So, Walt, tomorrow morning you and Austin will go pick up the new horses, right?" He chugged his third or fourth cup of coffee for the day and was quickly given a refill by Andrea.  

She definitely paid attention.

It was no wonder the guy had so much energy. He runs on caffeine. The coffee pot in the bunk house was mostly used by Taylor and apparently Andrea made sure we had basics stocked.  Austin showed me where we can jot down what we need on a list in the kitchen but since Gramps picked up the Oreos and chips I mentioned I was good.  They did an amazing job keeping plenty on hand.

Walt nodded, "Yeah, the humane society said the 10 year old stallion is completely untrained and pretty wild. Told him we'll be on alert.  The foals are twin Appaloosa's that are too little to do much but we've been through that recently with Whisper."

"Nothing we can't handle. Andy is great with horses and will help me," Taylor reassured.

Ruby stood and let Andrea lead her to the table before she grabbed a plate piled high with sausage links and another with bread. She returned with the large skillet of fried potatoes covered in cheese as I noticed salsa and sour cream on the table.

"Thanks, Andy," I said as nicely as I could.

She met my eyes with a nod while letting out a long breath then took her seat, drinking coffee and serving herself once we filled our plates.