Eighteen

ANDREA POV

"You are actually the best, Andy," Mar said with a grin before using the upstairs shower at the farmhouse when they joined us after being in the barn.

She was shorter and smaller than me but when I offered that she could use our shower then change into sweats it was the right call.  Hercules and Megara had a lot of fun this morning so she got a bit messy while playing with them.  I had the fresh clothes in my room ready to go so it was easy for her to get cleaned up before we had burgers.

Austin kept Mar back at the barn a little longer after we left, allowing her more time with the foals and baby goats.  When they arrived I had my now damp hair in a messy bun and Bash was helping me work on pasta salad to go with the burgers Dad was getting ready.  Mama put together a few pans of various cookies with dough I had tucked into the deep freezer so dessert was handled, as well.

We forgot to eat chocolate cake the previous night.  That only meant we had it waiting for later today.  Dylan wasn't going to get cake but he would be happy with cookies.

"Those baby goats are truly so sweet," Mama said with a smile, turning so she could face Austin as he chugged a 2nd glass of water. "I told your Dad I want to be out there more. I know that makes more work for all of you, but appreciate your willingness to give me the chance.  Whenever my vision declines it takes time to adjust to the new normal but I feel comfortable as long as I have you kids available to help."

Bash gave me a sweet smile then commented, "I mean, they will take all the attention we can give so you're really doing us a favor, Ruby.  That allows us to focus on the foals as well as Matilda and Jeffrey.  Those 2 have taken a lot of our time lately so Herc and Meg have loved all the extra play time."

I moved next to him and wrapped my arms around his waist before letting out a long breath. It was clear he understood more than I would expect.

Lunch was delicious, especially since Austin helped Dad get everything grilled to perfection.  I made a pasta salad with canned heirloom tomatoes as well as homemade dressing which was the perfect side dish.  Once we finished up, Dylan headed out to get back to the Hendricks farm.

"So, what your plan now?" Dad asked while Bash and I worked on dishes.

"We are going to head to the bunk house and relax for a while," Austin said with a grin. "Bash and Andy can handle the afternoon shift and then we will be back around after dinner."

"You two going to night ride again later?" Mama asked, turning toward Bash and me.

I met his eyes and he smirked, "I mean, it's kind of a thing now. I'd love to, if you're interested, Andy."

"Of course. Night riding is my favorite. Training is great since it builds the rapport with each horse, but being able to just let them run under the moonlight has become something I love this last year.  Daylight doesn't get as much focused time to run unless it's later since our days have been so busy working with the foals and Whisper, not to mention the extra time with Matilda and Jeffrey."

"What got you into night riding?" Mar asked while refilling everyone's glasses of tea with the pitcher from the fridge.

I thought a long moment then replied, "It was a tough summer for a lot of reasons. Callie was always super tiny so her pregnancy was pretty scary. I had a bad feeling the entire time then was right. We figured it out in late July so before that time we were just busy with the horses since the guys had their hands full working in the fields."

Bash pulled me closer and kissed my temple, "You gave that sweet cat so much love, Andy. I am sorry it went that way and so glad we still have Bagheera and Tommy Boy."