Two

ANDREA POV

Beep Beep Beep Beep

Another day, just like the last.

I went through the motions I always did when I got up at 430.  After slipping into my well worn overalls with a fitted green top I yawned while getting my boots on then made my way to the barn.

Dad would have coffee going by the time I got back.  We had a routine, and it helped Mama now that she had a tough time.  The household rhythm would be a little disrupted with a new worker, but hopefully he turns out to be a good man.

Not all of them were.  I knew that all too well.

Hunting for eggs was always a fun game, especially when we also had new barn kittens that were due anytime.  Our only cat at the moment was close to giving birth but still moving around carefully so I knew it would happen soon.

Callie was the only kitten a previous barn cat had before she passed away shortly after my little calico was born. She was always such a sweet girl and while we had no idea who the father was of her kittens, the Vet was pretty sure she had 4 that seemed healthy.

After spending some time with Matilda and Jeffrey, I got my work done fast. Matilda was the first horse I ever rode when I was 8. My Dad tossed me onto her back and said to hang on.

That was when I fell in love with the farm. I already loved the animals in general, but finally getting to work with them and train was everything I had ever wanted.

It was tough to watch an animal you love slowly lose their ability to move without pain. I wished I could do more for Matilda but we were already following our Vet's advice. Losing her will break me. She was in so many of my happy memories, though Daylight has been a phenomenal horse to raise as well.

Our farm was so different when I was a kid. My parents worked as a team while Austin was 5 years older so I was quickly able to step up in dozens of ways. Even as a toddler I could sit with animals so they get contact. I could hunt for eggs, help with grooming, and weed in the garden.

Mama helps as much as she can now, but her eyesight has been getting worse over the last 6 years.

She could set the table if I organized everything for her on the counter and put placemats down.  Mama was also happy to handle laundry as long as I separated loads.  There was a lot she could do with limited sight, like kneading bread and mixing ingredients I measured.

We had textured stickers around the kitchen and on appliances so she had an easier time finding what she needs and everyone knows to be cautious if putting anything away.  A few inches shift of utensils or a knife in the dish water could mean a bad day. That along with voice assistance for a lot of appliances and my Dad staying near his office as much as possible allowed us to keep getting things done.

My Dad was terrified.  This happened to my Grandma, too.  Macular Degeneration was a nasty disease that could ramp up quickly, so it's a good thing we've had 6 years of gradual loss of sight instead of something within weeks.  When it began I took the opportunity to switch to online high school for my last 2 years.  That meant I could help around the house while we adjusted to our new normal.

Her next Doctor appointment was soon so we would learn more then.

I was able to find 10 eggs and used them to make a couple of sheet pan Dutch Pancakes.  Mama hulled some strawberries for a topping while I got everything organized so she could set the table and make homemade whipped cream.

We never speak much.

I just don't know what to say.

It's easier to be quiet and do what I need to do.  Dad hates keeping me home so much but he was occupied caring for our farm as well as Mama.  I kept busy with everything in the house, our garden, tending to baby animals, and making sure everyone was okay.