Competition

Lan Wangji tensed and turned over his shoulder quickly. The strike came swiftly, almost like lightning itself. He couldn't dodge the attack, he knew that. He gripped his sword tighter and prepared to defend instead, using his sword as a shield. The two collided and sparks flew across them. Lan Wangji managed to shove the person back, creating distance. He adjusted his stance before engaging the target, swooping in with agility and grace unlike any other. Their swords clashed again. His arms ached at the impact, but he found a kind of rush from meeting his sword to his opponent's. His muscles have not ached this much in ages, and he relished in the feeling. 

Wei Wuxian smirked. He rapidly shifted gears, became light on his feet and pivoted around the Lan again. It wasn't nearly as graceful as Lan Wangji, but it was faster and more tight-turned. He pulled out a talisman at the last second and attached it to the Lan's back. He stopped moving.

Lan Wangji struggled against the hold of the talisman, but he would not let it up. Using his spiritual energy, he circled the talisman and crushed it, turning it to dust. He gained his mobility back and swung around just as the both of them had their swords aimed at each other's necks.

Wei Wuxian pouted. "A tie again! How is that fair?" he asked in a whiny voice.

"You are getting sharper," Lan Wangji commented. The two lowered their swords and stared at one another.

"You're getting better at improvising. Turns out this training is pulling off." He smirked. "You're the first person to break through my talisman that way. I'll have to be more creative in the future."

Lan Wangji nodded, and it only made Wei Wuxian laugh deep and hardy. 

The two began training only a handful of weeks ago, yet their skills have already significantly improved. After the disciples left, Wei Wuxian wanted to focus on combat training and working on their physical strength. There are very few people Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji would consider their equal, but somehow the two dance around each other in perfect synchronicity and precision. They balanced each other, challenged each other, strengthened each other.

Both found much joy in practicing together, learning from their techniques and improving their skills, discussing their tactics, their weaknesses, and how to improve on those weaknesses. 

However, Lan Wangji took greater pleasure in this as it had successfully distracted Wei Wuxian from his thoughts on what occurred only a couple of weeks ago with the Jiangs. 

Wei Wuxian told Jiang Fengmian that he wanted to remain here, but unsurprisingly, Jiang Fengmian's reaction was not ideal. 

Granted, the sect leader did not lose his temper like his wife and son would do, but there was this frostiness in the air when he spoke to Wei Wuxian about his decision. He reminded Wei Wuxian of everything he had done for him. He even reminded him of the promise he made to Jiang Wanyin and how he would not be able to fulfill it unless he came home. 

Worst part, he even brought in Wei Wuxian's parents, stating that his parents would be disappointed in the decisions he was making, not returning the incredible favor the Jiang's bestowed upon him. He stated, "A-Ying, I made a promise to always take care of you. Your parents were good friends of mine. It would pain them to know you have taken our hospitality and turned it against us, using such false and incriminating accusations."

Lan Wangji remembered watching Wei Wuxian shrink in on himself. It became very apparent that he was breaking, bringing in his parents was the last straw. He wanted to apologize to the sect leader and return home in defeat. However, Lan Qiren stepped in very quickly, disputing Jiang Fengmian's claim. He knew Wei Wuxian's mother well, therefore, Jiang Fengmian's statement was only built on manipulation and less to do with any factual reasonings.