Loquats

Lan Wangji poured tea for his elder brother and for himself. They sat in a private room in the Inn they decided to rest in before heading back to the Cloud Recesses tomorrow. Lan Xichen had just finished sending a message to his uncle about the waterborne abyss that they discovered and urged him home quickly, knowing they needed to discuss what to do with the Wens who had sent it and how to best get rid of it.

The Inn was cozy and simple. The room Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen were in was the simple private room for small groups. There is a table made of a light brown oak that the two of them sat at with a porcelain white tea set placed in between them. The scent of freshly steeped tea wafted through the air.

The rest of the room was just as simple, though there was a small painting of the northern mountains hanging on the far left of the walls, and the windows were open, allowing for a gentle breeze.

"Wangji," his brother called.

Lan Wangji set his tea cup down and looked up at his brother. "Xiongzhang."

"Has he said anything more to you? About what happened?" Lan Xichen looked worried. It was clear that the future leader of the Lan Clan had grown to appreciate Wei Wuxian for how he had pulled his brother out of his comfort zone. It was only natural that he would worry for the young disciple, especially with everything he has recently seen and heard.

There was no mistake in what some of the disciples who came for the lectures have been saying. Especially after that particular morning where Wei Wuxian rushed into his sister's arms.

Nie Huaisang has also brought some concerning things to his attention. After Wei Wuxian's attitude had shifted and he turned into a more quiet individual, Huaisang, who has been friends with Wei Wuxian and Jiang Wanyin for awhile now, came and spoke to Lan Xichen and blatantly confirmed what he had already heard.

Despite being taken into the care of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect at such a young age, it would seem his home situation was not how it should be. Nie Huaisang had mentioned to him that he believes Wei Wuxian is being mistreated by Yu Ziyuan of Lotus Pier. He does not fully know the kind of mistreatment that is going on, but he knows it happens.

So far, no one else has been willing to talk about it, if they are even aware of what's going on. There is a strange cloud of mystery wafting over this and Lan Xichen needs to take precaution with how he proceeds. He could very well make the situation worse if he is not careful.

"No, he's resting now," Lan Wangji said and pulled his elder brother out of his thoughts.

Lan Xichen took a moment to drink his tea while he thought more about it. "Jiang Wanyin seemed confused and angry after what happened. Do you think he is speaking the truth? Wei Wuxian didn't attempt to get on his sword?"

"It's possible, but Su She..." he said and Lan Xichen knew exactly what he meant. It is possible that Wei Wuxian chose to save Su She's life instead of escaping on his sword. "It doesn't explain everything," his younger brother added.

"Yes, I agree. It's possible he jumped in the water to save the disciple and didn't think about getting on his sword, but that doesn't explain what happened afterwards," Lan Xichen explained further. "You don't react like that without a reason."

"He's a good flyer," Lan Wangji says.

"Jiang Wanyin made that comment. He said that Wei Wuxian was probably one of the best flyers in Yunmeng, so why was he so terrified to be on the sword?"

Lan Xichen watched a look quickly cross his brother's features before disappearing rapidly. "Wangji, don't think like that," he said. "I don't think it has anything to do with you holding him that caused him to act that way. He was completely terrified to be in the air." Lan Xichen took another sip of his tea, watching Lan Wangji still hesitate with what he said. "Let me put it this way. If it was you who caused it, then he wouldn't have wrapped himself around you and begged you not to let go. Wangji, it was not you that he was terrified of."