Vocation

Matt entered the Conference room with Sharon a few minutes after the last person was seated. Everyone stood and bowed, and the respect was returned by the Administrators."

Matt and Sharon took their seats and Matt said: "As far as a debriefing goes, I haven't got much to say. The torpedos we expended were overkill. I think three would have been enough, but I did not want a protracted battle or war."

Joshua Davis said: "It was a whitewash and hard to believe that such destructive power is possible. It sickens me that an entire space-going species will gamble their existence on defeating us.

Matt said: "I'm sick of aliens thinking we are easy targets and I hope word gets out over this and just wanted the latest enemy to be dealt with, minus the lengthy war."

Calemon said: "Up until now, there has been some stealthy witnesses to our previous conflicts."

Joshua said: "Bring it on, I'm no longer afraid for my species. Not after seeing that whitewash. I would have used ten or twelve torpedos. In the end, the war turned out shorter than your dialogue with the bad guys."

Matt said: "Sorry for talking too much leading up to the fight, but I wanted to convince them that they had no choice but to open fire or leave. They could never leave a threat to their absolute dominance that humans represent."

"We all know that I will never fire first, and they knew the dangers of attacking. They have seen our history. They must be aware that we find ways to overcome adversity and they attacked anyway."

SP1 said: "I'm beginning to think that for Judges of Prophesy to withdraw without a decisive outcome would not fit within the cosmic ideal of advanced evolution. The 'all or nothing' bid to reach the next rung on the evolutionary ladder."

Steve said: "Administrator, we'll have to start calling you, One-minute noodles."

Hymie chuckled and said: "All over in half the time it takes normal noodles to cook."

Calemon said: "What are you two on about?"

Adara sighed and said: "Just ignore it, grandmother. They do this childish stuff as an outlet for pent-up stress and emotion."

Calemon rolled her eyes, and they came to rest on Matt as she asked: "What are we going to do now?"

Matt said: "Tomorrow is a new day that will bring new challenges. It's been a hard decade getting ready for this fight. I'm looking forward to rest and boredom for the next few weeks before thinking about what comes next."

Matt looked at the wall clock and said: "It's early. I for one could use a swim at Pipi beach, followed by a Barbeque."

Steve looked at Hymie and said: "Let's get our towels."

They started up from their chairs, and Matt put his palm up. Both men sat back down and followed Matts eyes to look at SP1.

SP1 said: "I hate to burst your fun bubble, but I think we have reached the point in our technical evolution, where we will be needed by whoever runs this place. We removed the aliens responsible for destroying universes."

It's possible that there are no more bad guys to fight here, but I think we have a responsibility to offer our help to fix things. So, are we staying here to do something useful or are we going somewhere else? I think we need challenge, or we will stagnate as a species, Administrator."

Matt said: "We will stay here and wait for now, SP1. The Judge said he was contracted to the level two council in the 'company.' Our last two battles attracted bigger fish each time. I for one am curious to know how big the fish can get and are they all anti-human?"