Chapter 15: Vacation Gone Wrong

Hiccup's POV

The sound of clanging echoed through the Edge as Astrid, Chaos, and I flew around. Around the bottom cliffs, a large Gronkle iron wall was being constructed.

"Good idea on fortifying the Edge." Chaos commented, "Make it harder on Viggo."

Ever since she got the Scourge, Chaos's hatred for Viggo has tripled, if that was possible. I don't blame her though. He killed innocent people on that fishing boat, almost killed a nearly extinct dragon, and was willing to let Chaos die. Viggo was ruthless, and we needed to be prepared for whatever he did next.

When we landed, I expected to find Fishlegs, Snotlout and the twins working hard on making gronkle iron. Instead I found everyone tired and work at a stand still.

"Uh, Hiccup?" Fishlegs said, looking at his dragon, "I think Meatlug might be ready for a break. She's starting to lose her gag reflex."

"Guess the perfect little machine isn't so perfect, after all." Snotlout nagged.

"Have you checked your dragon? The giant oven doesn't look too perky, either." Fishlegs protested.

"Huh?" Snotlout asked, confused. Suddenly Hookfang collapsed as a large flame shot out his mouth, right in Barf and Belch's direction. The zippleback quickly growled in response, causing Meatlug to get defensive. Soon all the dragons were growling and fighting. In the chaos, Stormfly had shot some spines, which had hit the twins.

"Uh, what?" Tuffnut asked, him and his sister now hanging upside down from a tree.

Toothless started growling as well, and in my frustration, I took it out at him, "Really? You too, bud?"

Toothless just look at me in confusion. I sighed, before turning back to the mess, "All right, that's it! Dragons, to your corners!"

As all the dragon backed away, Chaos muttered, "Damn, you guys are pissy today."

"Hey, Hiccup. Did you know that upside-down you actually have a metal arm instead of a metal leg?" Tuffnut jokes, still stuck.

"What is going on around here?" I asked, anger boiling.

"Hiccup, we've been working really hard on these reinforcement walls. Everyone is just tired. Look at the dragons." Astrid explained, her tiredness visible in her eyes.

"You know, Hookfang and I could really use a vacay." Snotlout suggested.

"Vacation? Count us in." Tuffnut cheered, "We'll grab our straw helmets and a chilling tale of Viking murder to read on some enchanted beach, laughing as the waves crash against us."

I sighed, "Guys, I get that you're all tired, but remember why we're doing this."

"Oh, because you told us to." Snotlout complained.

"No, because Viggo is out there." I retorted, not in the mood to deal with him, "And when he finally realizes he can't use the Dragon Eye without the key, he's gonna come looking for it. We can't leave the Edge unguarded again."

"So, yay or nay on the vacay?" Ruffnut asked, totally ignoring my point.

"Oh, gods..." I muttered, walking away.

Hoping to talk my mind off the stress and be productive, I went to my hut to work on my map. Ever since we moved to the Edge, we've discovered a lot more islands and dragons. As I worked, I noted all the islands with volcanoes that we hadn't explored yet. I hadn't told Chaos, mainly because she would kill me if she knew, but I was looking for her island. I thought that learning about where she lived could show us more about her. Like who was really behind that mask and the title of Chaos Rider. Besides, it would be good to know where she is when we need her.