Chapter 22 - Baking and Histories

You explain the Leona encounter as you and your little group as you all collect the spiky chestnuts and put them into the baskets as Poni helps and Koraidon watches from the side. Grim regularly buts in, and you decide to let him finish the last bit of the explanation because he deserves it.

"...and then he peaced out!" You nod in response to the cat-monster, Moonstone watching you from your shoulder.

"Yeah, no way was that guy the groundskeeper." Ace states as he tosses a chestnut into his basket.

"Y'know, now that I think about it, he WAS wearin' the golden vest of that Pajama-clog dorm." Grim grumbles as he struggles to use the tongs, and you quickly help him adjust his position to use the tongs better.

Deuce tilts his head confused. "Pajama... clog? You mean Savanaclaw? You know, I'm starting to think that there's an awful lot of delinquents here at Night Raven."

You nod in agreement with Deuce and gather more chestnuts and set your full basket next to Deuce and Ace's baskets. "Unfortunately, it seems you're right, Deuce..."

Ace lets out a sigh of relief and wipes the sweat from his brow, a grin on his face. "All right, that should be enough chestnuts. Let's get these baskets over to Trey!"

Grim excitedly rubs his paws together, dropping the tongs. "Myahaha! Now that we're all gassed up, it's destination Flavortown, baby!"

--------

"Welcome back." Trey greets as your group strolls into the Heartslabyul kitchen, carrying a good few large baskets nearly overfilled with chestnuts. "Looks like you got plenty."

Grim hops up from your shoulder and stands next to the baskets on the kitchen island as you set them down, grinning slyly. "Now you can make us some massive tarts!"

Trey laughs and shakes his head slightly, obviously not going to peel all the chestnuts. "Well, the bigger the tarts, the harder it'll be to peel all these nuts, so... good luck with that!"

Deuce's eyes widen in shock as he leans back slightly. "We have to peel all of these...? Suddenly the whole room is spinning."

Trey adjusts the rim of his glasses,  looking amused. "Preparation is the key to good baking."

Ace rolls his eyes, crossing his arms. "Yeah, yeah, I know. We've come this far. We're not giving up now!

--------

"There! Finally got 'em all pureed!" Ace grins as you take your hand off the food processor button, having pureed the last of the chestnuts. You and Poni were switching who was the one pureeing the chestnuts, and you both were smiling the entire time.

"My arms are killing me..." Deuce groans out, rubbing his arms with a frown.

Trey laughs a bit. "Nice work. It'll be all the sweeter for the pain!"

You tilt your head. "Hm. Interesting. Chestnuts are very similar in form to Chesto Berries, though I assume they most likely vary in taste..."

"What-now berries?" Ace asks as he looks over at you with an inquisitive expression.

"Chesto Berries. They wake up people and Pokémon who fall alseep. I have a good few, very useful..." You smile a bit.

"The smell alone already has me droolin'." Grim comments as he clambers onto your shoulder, staring at the food with large and hungry eyes. Trey mixes the chestnut paste with the other ingredients with a smile.

"I just need to add butter and sugar to the chestnut paste," Trey comments as he keeps working, "and a sensible splash of oyster sauce, my secret ingredient."