EPILOGUE

One rainy midnight, someone desperately bangs the door outside the residence of Montezano. The rain was so strong yet the desperation of someone behind the door was stronger.

Tate just finished thrusting his hips in Tessa's behind in the counter of their kitchen while the five year old Deacon is sleeping soundly in the next room.

Kip kip ang roba, mabilis pa sa alas kwatro na kinuha ang baril na nakatago sa ilalim ng sofa sa kanilang sala. Habang ang asawa naman ay nasa kanyang unahan, handang ialay ang sarili kung sino man ang gustong manakit sa kanya.

Glock was in Tate's hands when he answered the door. The house was full of security cameras and all but they don't have the time to take a peek at it right now.

Someone behind the door keeps banging until Tate swings the door open and points his glock at the person.

"Rhayna," Tessa muttered in shock.

She was wet all over her. Her straight and perfect hair was all over her, some went stuck in her cheeks. A cut was drawn at her forehead and the blood gushed down her face.

Her lips were busted and marks of strangulation were evident in her neck. Her black coat was soaked with rain water and her left hand clutched in her stomach, blood was soaking her white t-shirt. While a gold gun was on the other

Fuck she was shot. Tessa whispered in her mind.

Tate was about to extend his hands and help her but she stepped backwards. He repeats to reach but Rhayna stubbornly steps away.

"What the fuck! Rhayna!! " frustration was evident in Tate's voice.

That's when Tessa steps forward to go between them. She knew where Tate stands, he was worried about her sister.

Well she was too.

"Ade... " her lips quiver and her voice was hoarse. "He killed her.. Arys killed Ade" then she broke down at napasalampak nalang sa labas ng pintuan.

Tate immediately gathered her and carried her in the living room. This time hindi na ito naglaban sa kanyang kuya. He then left to get the medicine kit and pack in the kitchen.

Tuliro at nanginginig parin si Rhayna at mahigpit ang kapit sa baril. Her forefinger rested in the trigger, any minute if she wants to, it will blow some bullet.

With a shaky breath she added. "They also got Gaston''

Tessa's scrutinizing eyes landed on the gun she clutched. I remember Gaston possessing a gold gun, it was probably his.

Inihilamos ni Tessa ang mga kamay habang pabalik balik ang kanyang mga lakad sa harapan ni Rhayna. She never felt so nervous her whole life aside from the first time she was sent to the mountain to train.

She was just seven years old at that time.

"I want details, Renaissance. Details" every word escaped her mouth was stern hence grinding her teeth.

Rhayna didn't waste time and she immediately told Tessa everything that happened that night.

And the last words came from her and whispered "Arys wanted to get me. He shot Ade because I called her 'Mama'" a hiccup escaped her throat and followed by sobs.

A cry of pain unleashed in her "Mama is gone, Maire. She's gone" her pain vibrated in the entire room.

Tears threatened to form in Tate's eyes when Tessa met him. Embarrassment and pain was evident in his eyes while Tessa's were different.

Fume and anger danced in her brown almost gold eyes. Hindi namalikmata si Tate sa nakita at ramdam niya ang nagpupuyos na galit na nararamdaman ng asawa.

He saw it once when someone punched him hard in the ear when he was doing the Tussle Challenge to ask her hands from Ade.

He never saw the man after.

Tesaa blinked and turned her eyes to Rhayna "Were you tailed?"

"No, I told the ravens to cover my tracks to confuse Osirus where I was heading. We also evacuated the Estate and went to the island " her voice was hoarse and cold.

Huminga ng malalim si Tessa at masuyong ngumiti sa asawa tila hindi ito galit kanina "Darling, can you please take care of Rhayna? The room in my studio is empty, she can rest there" Tate nodded and was about to carry Rhayna when the latter went ballistic.

"No, you can't just send me out. I want to avenge 'Ma'---"

Tessa nodded understandingly"I know, Rhayna. But you have to rest, you were shot. You're the ruler now–" it was then cut off by Rhayna.

"Ade failed to name me as Heir. Arys knew she wanted me to ascend the throne, that's why he wanted to kill her before it happened. I'm so sorry, Maire. It was supposed to be me, I know you don't want the throne. But the records say you're still the heir. And now Ade is gone, you're the new ruler of the Regime." guilty, Rhayna faced the floor of the house.

The statement of Rhayna completely shocked Tessa's body. Her legs weakened at mahinang napadausdos sa sofa. Rhayna's sorrows were muffled as her ears deafened.

Tate on the other hand went to his wife for support. His knowledge about ascending the throne was still shallow but he clearly knew that it was bad news.

"Deacon... " Tessa muttered at napatulala sa kawalan.

She knew her son was in danger.

"I'm sorry Maire. It's my fault" Rhayna sobbed. She covered her face still with a gun on her left hand.

Tate tucked and helped his little sister clean her wound. Ito na rin ang naglabas ng basyo ng bala mula sa kanyang tiyan habang naka-alalay lang ang nag-aalalang nakakatandang kapatid.

Hindi mawari ni Tate kung anong mararamdaman nang makita ang nakababatang kapatid na nahihirapan. After half an hour, he left the studio and gave her little sister one last look who was sleeping soundly from exhaustion. Drain tears printed in her cheeks.

He then went to their bedroom where he saw his wife talking on the phone. She's barking orders and such until she puts the phone in the nightstand.

"Get me the monk, Nyra"

Arms snaked instantly in Tessa's waist and the warmth her husband provided was enough to calm her raging heart and the sprouting fear crept in her.

"I'm sorry" Tate murmured, kissing her nape.

"It's not your fault–"

"He's still my father and I am his blood" anguished he rested his head in Tessa's nape.

Tate won't even blame his wife if she kills him now. Ade was a weird but wonderful person he ever met. She's not the woman like the town painted her.

Tessa spun and faced Tate somber face. His gorgeous eyes were in pain, so she kissed it down to his lips.

Words were not necessary to convey a message to each other, feelings are enough. They shared the kiss with raw sadness and pain, baring themselves with vulnerabilities.

"I am the new Ruler of the Regime, Tate. I'm not afraid of the throne, I'm afraid of Deacon. He will go through the same path I've been through. I failed his father to protect him from my world." It seems like those words trigger Tessa's remaining courage.

Tate shared the pain she felt, his hands tightly hugged her to convey a message that she's not alone.

"We'll figure this out. You and me. We'll get through this" even Tate was not sure how strong the upcoming storm was but one thing for sure, they will survive it together.

"You and me. Together" Tessa replied.