CHAPTER 4

Tate

Afghanistan, 8 months ago

"You have a call from home, Sergeant Montezano" General Cooper shouts at my face in the middle of war with the rebels.

Bombs and screams are everywhere so we have to shout. I held my rifle and ducked on my way to Sergeant Ellis holding the phone for me on the other side of the building.

I count to five and run for my life. I was wearing heavy armored war clothes and had my bulletproof vest but I could get busted if a sniper caught my head. I snatched the phone from his grip and pulled it to my ear, still holding my rifle.

"Hello" I said on the other line, I heaved a sigh and lowered my heart rate, trying to keep as calm as possible.

I have no idea why they called me in the middle of war but they don't contact me unless it's a matter of life and death. Just like how I asked them when I joined the army. My attempt to calm failed when I heard my Mom's agony in the other line.

I know something is wrong, and it did.

"He's gone, Tate" I did not move when I heard my Mom's cry.

I felt like I'd been bombed in my face and bullets rained around my body. I couldn't move, I couldn't talk, and I couldn't breathe. Sergeant Ellis slapped my face several times to come back in reality until a bomb knocked us out.

__

I gasped and filled my lungs with oxygen like a madman drowning. I scanned my surroundings and calmed down, when I didn't see myself in that dark room again. I shivered as I remember that dreadful night.

I saw the beach and trees. I was in Jake's place, the one we always hung out. I blinked and saw a pair of eyes watching me with concern. She was saying something but I couldn't hear it. Pitched tone filled my ears and it hurt as hell. I grabbed my earpiece at the back of my pants and put it in my right ear.

"Tate, are you okay? Please tell me you're not dead. Should I call Mom?" worry escaped her throat.

"No?!" I snarl. She falls back and almost tips while holding her bump. I didn't realize that I raised my voice to an extreme level, the one I used in the Army.

I think I scared her.

"I'm sorry" Fuck she's pregnant and I scared her, baka lumalabas ang bata ng wala sa oras. I'm not fit in the medical field, I'm a soldier for god's sake.

She clutched her chest and caressed her bump, as if trying to calm her. Or her child? I don't know.

I run my hands on my face trying to wear off the alcohol in me and the suffering of a hangover starts to slip through the veins in my head. I took another glance on her bump and something tugged my heart. This was what my Mom talked about when she called me.

Jake's girlfriend, Tessa if I'm not mistaken, was pregnant before he was hospitalized and gone. She's carrying their child alone, here in the beach house he gifted to her.

The place we used to hang-out.

"I prepared breakfast and coffee, it'll help to wear off my hangover." She offered fidgeting and played with her fingers, she still does this even after we met. I notice she's afraid of my presence.

I got up and grabbed the blanket and pillow. I followed her inside and I couldn't help it but to roam my eyes inside. The house was more beautiful than before. 

This used to be our hideout, Jake and me when we just want to be alone.

I saw Jake's photos with her and ours. I grab the frame and stare at my brother's a million dollar smile. His smile was contagious. I bitterly smiled and put the frame down.

I smelled coffee from where I was standing and it's addicting as hell. I need a shot to shake my hangover off.

"I actually don't know what's your preferred breakfast, that's why I cooked both Filipino and American breakfast. Para may pagpilian ka" she was civil to me, almost formal .

"No need to be formal, you can talk to me casually" I offered her a tight smile to loosen herself up and it worked.

Her shoulders relaxed and heaved a sigh as if she's holding her breath. I dug in and started to eat. I noticed I was the only one eating the food she prepared. She only eats oatmeal and fruits.

"You didn't eat" I stated the obvious. She flinched a bit when she met my eyes.

"Oh, this is my breakfast. I was forbid to eat greasy foods. Kailangan kong kumain ng healthy para maayos si Deacon paglabas" she said munching a banana, making a bump on her cheek. 

Cute.

"Deacon?" I repeated the name of my nephew. Jake's son. Taste familiar to my mouth.

"Yes, Deacon Jake Montezano. Sounds cool, right?" she was happy as the name of her son slipped in her mouth.

"Sounds like Jake" I said without thinking. 

I know she's still mourning just like what Mom said, I thought she was about to cry just by hearing Jake's name but she didn't. She fought her tears and tried to give me a smile.

Brave girl.

"Just like Jake" she caresses her bump smiling sadly.

I felt someone pull my heart in my stomach by the sight of her, trying to be brave for her son. By the courage she had, she earned my utmost respect. As a soldier myself, she's much braver than I am. 

I've gone to war in different countries but I hardly call myself brave.

There's no one more braver than a mother keeping it all together alone for her child. A mother who will do everything even if it means going through a process of mourning and moving on.

I ate almost everything she prepared and helped her clean the dishes. It was all I can offer for cooking me breakfast and being hospitable. I may not be good at cooking but Mom raised me well. 

As well as Jake.

__

Hello. Can I ask a favor? Please hit the like button and comment ur thoughts abt this chapter. Thank you