CHAPTER 10

Tessa

Tate left later that night with an unreadable expression. He was cold all of the sudden and it’s my fault. I think I pushed his buttons. I don't have any excuse about that. I went too far. 

All of us have a share of traumatic experiences no matter the gender, age, and profession. I have traumatic experiences,they’re horrible. And I don’t know how hard it is for Tate. 

He was a soldier and just like he said he had faced Death several times. He saw dead bodies all his life. And for sure he had regrets.

Morning came and I saw Maning preparing breakfast in the kitchen. Tate was on the island sipping on his coffee while reading the newspaper.I checked the calendar and realized why Maning came over. It’s her schedule of doing laundry and cleaning the whole house.

“Good morning Ma’am” she chirped.

“Good morning” Tate lifted his eyes from the paper and greeted me. As if nothing happened last night.

“Good morning” I returned the favor to the both of them. 

“Ma’am,nga pala hindi na ako nakapag-grocery kaina kasi itong si Ronaldo kasi nagtatampo. Na-busy ako sa pagsuyo kaya ayun nakalimutan ko” she blabbered while wiping the counter. 

I sat across from Tate and ate fresh strawberries in the bowl that he offered. I think he prepared it for me. 

“Bakit naman nagtampo? Ang sweet niyo nga kahapon” usisa ko pa habang kumakain. Tate lifted his eyebrow on me, judging me for being nosy.

“Women,” he muttered.

Gossip is best served for breakfast. I lifted the glass and drank the water beside the bowl. 

“Eh kasi ma’am, nagrequest kasi kagabi na makipag-churvahan. Kaso pagod na ako tapos nakita niya pa ako na nakipag-ngitian sa bagong driver nila Ma’am. Kaya ayun, nagselos. Hindi ako pinansin buong umaga” she narrates everything as if Tate's not around. 

Naibuga ni Tate ang iniinum na kape sa narinig niya mula kay Maning.I forgot to tell him that Maning was one hell of a straightforward when it comes to her sex life. Straightforward means she narrates everything raw and without filter. 

She even shared how she enjoyed being fucked on public. I rolled my eyes as she gave me the details of how good her husband was in bed.

I didn't know my lashes batted in envy. My sex life ended months before Jake passed. 

“Ay sir sorry,nandito ka pa po pala. Akala ko kasi kami lang dalawa ni ma’am dito. Wala po kasi kayong imik diyan.” hingi niya pa ng pasensya. Pasimple naman umikot naman ang mga mata ko. 

As if she’s really apologizing. Well guess what? She’s not.Apparently Tate is way older than the two of us. He's 33, but he's far from being old with that body of his that sculpted like Adonis'. 

“Ako nalang ang mag-grocery, Maning. Wala naman akong project  ngayon.”I declared, shifting the topic. Baka kung saan pa mapunta ang usapan. 

“Sure ka ma’am?” naninigurado siya. Kita ko ang multo ng ngiti sa mukha niya. 

“Yes, para narin makalabas ako” I was about to grab my keys when Tate stopped me.

“Shouldn’t you be resting? You’re heavily pregnant for God’s sake” concern itched his face.

“Ano kaba?! Buntis lang ako,hindi ako imbalido. Kaya ko yan” I chuckled. 

“Ako nalang ang mag-grocery, stay here” he ordered. His voice was stern and strict. I should be intimidated but I wasn't and I don't know why. 

Is it because of last night? 

“I’m not your soldier, General” I grinned and crossed my arms.

“Stay here” he repeated. But I didn't budge. 

“You’re not the boss of me” I shook my head. Hard-headed as I can be.

He heaved a deep sigh and put his hands on his sides. Annoyed and I can’t help but to chuckle. He’s cute. He snatched my keys and held it up above his head.

“You can go if you can reach it” he challenged. Now he's the one grinning between us. 

“What the hell, Tate?” I exclaimed and now I’m the one who’s annoyed right now. “How can I reach that if you’re a walking giant?!” He's 6”9’ in all his glory for God’s sake.

“That’s what I thought” he smirked and made his way to my car.

I followed him,pissed because of his unfairness. 

“That was unfair Tate” my ego took over. One toxic thing about me is that I don’t like losing.

“It’s not. I am a fair man, Tess. Just accept that you lose.” He grinned wickedly and God forbid I was enchanted. I shook my head, shaking the silly idea.

“I demand a rematch” I just can’t let this go. I'm as petty as my grandmother.

“You don’t give up,do you” he sighed and pulled the keys above his head. Like a bored giant.

I gathered all of my strength to bounce my feet on the ground, I was inches away when I tripped. I saw my life flash in my eyes. I thought that was my end. I thought I'd land on the ground face first but he caught me with his iron-clad hands.

I held my dear life on his shoulder, I clung to him and he held me like I was a fragile porcelain. He held me so close that no air could fit in or not even a single atom.

“Jesus, Tess. Are you alright? I’m sorry. I should've pushed the idea.” he apologized while he still held me in his arms.I swallowed hard when I felt the bees swarming in my stomach. I breathed hard when air lost its way on my lungs.

“I’m alright” I said.Trying to calm my nerves.

After a couple of minutes he lets go of me and I too. Though honestly I don’t want to. I want to stay close to him. His presence is enthralling and God forbid I’m addicted. 

I know I shouldn’t feel this way, it feels wrong. Very wrong

We hit the road after the incident and I swear I can hear the crickets like it’s night inside the car. I can only hear the sound of my breathing, the deafening sound of my heartbeat and his deep sigh as if he’s pissed or something.

Maybe he doesn’t want to get close to me according to his reaction right now. Bittertaste touched the tip of my tongue and the strings of overthinking tangled in my head as we’re on our way to the town.

Bumaba na ako sa sasakyan at hindi na siya hinintay. I should keep my distance from him on this day forward. I don’t want to cause awkwardness between us because of this funny feeling I should not entertain in the first place. 

“Tess” he called on my back. I twist my body a little to show that everything’s fine. That I’m not affected by the incident earlier. 

Him being close to me.

“Yes?” I lift my brows as part of my response. I waited a couple of minutes until he spoke. As if contemplating whether he says what’s on his mind or discarding the idea. He chose the latter.

“I’ll go get the cart” was all I heard before he marched to get the cart

--
Hello sorry late update. Can you please hit the like button and comment your thoughts about this chapter? Thank you