Detention and Dullness

Acrylic Williams

I sat at one of the desks in classroom 246 while it was 3:35. I would have been in the library for a student council meeting, in one of the art rooms for an art club meeting, or on the bus, but I got detention. Brooks obviously started it, but I had to be put with this. We were the only kids in this detention room for some reason. I glanced at Brooks, who was sitting at the desk next to me. She was looking in her travel hairbrush which had a mirror attached.

"What are you doing?" I asked her. 'We aren't allowed to do anything, even being a complete narcissist and looking at yourself a lot"

"I'm not being a narcissist, I'm making sure I look good" Brooks mumbled.

"I saw you looking in that mirror five seconds ago and just watching yourself in it" I grumbled. She stared at me angrily. I turned back to my desk. I grabbed out my sketchbook and started doodling. Suddenly I heard a loud groan from Brooks.

"Someone unfollowed me on Instagram!" She whined as she scrolled through her phone.

"Okay, and...?" I asked.

"I'm not as popular as I used to be" She mumbled.

"Popularity isn't everything" I responded to her.

"Easy for you to say, you're not popular" Brooks hissed.

"Let's not argue, we have to be in here until around 4 or something" I leaned myself against my chair. She looked away and went back to looking at her phone. I looked around for something to draw. This was a very plain classroom so I decided that I would draw Brooks. I may hate her, but I cannot lie, she is gorgeous. I'm so jealous of her, I wanted everything she had. I started doodling her face shape on my sketchbook paper.

She had every feature I wanted. Silky dark blonde hair, perfectly shaped lips, everything about her is perfect! In my sketch, I even made sure to draw the heart locket. I glanced at Brooks and saw how she had a hint of sadness in her eyes. I wondered why...

Brooks Anderson

I scrolled through my phone as I kept checking my socials. I earned more followers/subscribers, lost some, etc. But half of the comments I got were from boys. I don't mean boys just being normal fans, I mean boys that were from the local who know who I am in real life and want to date me. They're always trying to use pick-up lines on me and god, it's so annoying. I wish I could be open with my sexuality, but unfortunately, I can't. So I have to spend a lot of time deleting those comments. I wanted comments from girls like me instead. It was upsetting how I couldn't share my real self and I had to hide myself from everyone.

I looked over at Acrylic and saw her drawing in her sketchbook. I was curious about what she was drawing. This room is bland, but she's an artist.

"Hey, whatcha drawing?" I asked.

"None of your business!" Acrylic quickly shut her sketchbook and held it to her chest.

"Come on, let me see!" I whined.

"Of course not!" She hissed. I started trying to grab her sketchbook while she kept it away from me. "Stay away from it!"

"Never!" I shouted. I kept trying to get it and eventually, I grabbed it from her hands. I flipped to the page she was drawing on and I looked at it. Suddenly I realized what the drawing was.

"I-Is this me?" I asked.

"Because what am I supposed to draw in this room? A wall?" She asked sarcastically.

"Huh. You drew me pretty well I guess. Probably because you aren't as pretty as me" I smirked. She lowered her head as she took her sketchbook back. We sat back down at our desks and spent the rest of the detention doing our various things.

"Detention is over, you may text your parents to come to pick you up," Miss Bowery told us. I glanced at Acrylic as she scrambled through her backpack for her phone. I texted my moms, letting them know that detention was over.

Brooks: I got detention today :/ Can one of you come pick me up?

Mum: What happened :( omw, meet me at the front

I breathed a sigh of relief as I slung my purse around me and my backpack over my shoulder. I then walked out of the classroom to exit the school.