Phones and Playing

Acrylic Williams

I sat on my bed, waiting for the other person to pick up the phone. It might have been a prank, but I don't want to have fallen for it.

Suddenly someone with a soft Brooklyn accent started talking. Okay, that's Brooks. Thank God.

"Hey, is this Acrylic Williams?" She asked.

"Yep, that's me on my phone, not any of my siblings' devices," I responded.

"Okay, cool. Good to hear your phone isn't dead again." She laughed slightly on the other line, making my face heat up. I blush somewhat whenever I hear a laugh. I know, it's a weird trait; it's natural for me. But this one felt... different.

"So why did you give me your number?" I asked.

"Because... we're science partners so we might as well text each other about the project," Brooks replied with an uncertainty in her voice.

"Cool," I nodded even though she couldn't see it. I felt she gave me her number for more reasons than this.

"Anyways do you have something to do? I'm practicing my flute right now" She said.

"I'm not doing anything at the moment. I might pick up my violin, though," I shrugged. "Can you play something?"

"Yeah, sure!" I heard Brooks pick up her flute. After a few seconds, she started playing a flute version of Taylor Swift's "The Lakes." I was captivated. It was gorgeous.

I picked up my violin and joined in, even though my playing and hers might have been disoriented by the fact that we were playing over the phone.

I heard Brooks giggle slightly at one point, which made me smile.

After playing, I put down my violin and picked up the phone quickly.

"Brooks that was awesome!" I exclaimed.

"Haha, thanks Acrylic!" I could hear her smile from the other end. "But please don't tell anyone I like Taylor. Holly and Palma would KILL me for some reason"

"I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die," I said with a slight smile. Suddenly I heard banging on my door. "Oh no. Hold on."

"Acrylic! Wait who are you talking to?!" I heard my mom shout.

"Uhh Sarah!" I shouted back while turning down the volume of my phone.

"I don't think so! I heard you say 'Brooks'" My mom pointed out.

"No-Uh Sarah just brought up Brooks at one point!" I made up an excuse.

"Okay, you BETTER not be talking to that Brooks girl, and you BETTER not 'like her' anymore. You don't have feelings for her and that's final!" My mom shouted before leaving the area. She can be so controlling sometimes. Luckily Brooks didn't hear any of that.

Brooks Anderson

Well, I heard all that.

I didn't say anything and I just kept it to myself. But Acrylic liked me? Like liked liked me? And her mom hates me? I just uncovered a whole bunch of secrets. But for Acrylic's sake, I'm not saying I knew those.

"Sorry, hope you didn't hear that" Acrylic apologized over the line.

"Oh-Uh-Yeah it's fine, I didn't hear any of that," I said quickly. There was a moment of silence.

"Anyways I gotta scram. See you at school?" Acrylic asked.

"Yup. I mean we have no choice- wait. Tomorrow's the weekend." I said with realization.

"Oh... And it's the carnival?" Acrylic asked again.

"Yup"

"Okay. I'll try to get there. Should I take a bus to a nearby area or are you gonna pick me up?"

"Well I can pick you up"

"Alright! At five?"

"Sure. See you tomorrow. I'll have one of my moms drive up to your house and pick you up. I'll meet you in the car. Bye!"

"Bye"

I hung up the phone after that and smiled. I was going to be fourteen tomorrow. I'm going to a carnival, even though Palma forced me to have my birthday there, with my friends.

And Acrylic too.