| Part VIII: Re:Action |

"What was all that about??" I hiss, pulling Kakeru to the side. We're now just barely outside of the cafeteria, loitering in the corridors -- which we probably shouldn't have been doing.

"What was all what about?" He parrots, acting innocent but dark-grey eyes never look back to me. And with a smug smile on his visage, his hands glide into his pockets.

"You know what! Why'd you embarrass me like that? And over a sock?" I ask him. Thinking back to the situation causes redness to infect my face. I huff and stomp my foot into the ground.

"What can I say? It's a cute sock. You're hiding all the polka dots just beneath the ankle cuffs." He chuckles out. I just don't think he is taking me very seriously. I just want some honesty from him, but he makes me feel like this is all one big joke.

My brows knit downwards, and I am now frowning. "Why does it feel like this is just a joke to you? Why are you doing this?" I can't help but ask. And as I avert my eyes, I grow sad.

I mean, he's damaging my relationship with Yuuta. I know we're only friends, but it certainly is not his place to intervene and break hearts. I begin to run my fingers along my forehead, touching the bristles of my hairline-- only to sigh.

I don't look at Kakeru, but his aura has changed. "I..." He pauses, fingers outstretched to touch me. "I'm sorry, you've got me all wrong. I must look like a douche..."

"...Yes. You do. I mean," I finally turn to him, lightly frowning now. "What was with all of the flirting? Did you really come all this way for a sock?"

I'm asking him a lot of questions, but they're the right pointed ones. I wait for his response, but he just stares. I don't know what for, but Kakeru is currently drilling holes into me. Maybe he's just looking for the right words to say.

"I did. I did come all this way over a sock." He finalizes, folding his arms over his chest. He's still slightly smiling, it suits him nicely.

"I--What--Why--" I stammer out, helplessly. I am at a loss of words, and I'm not really sure what to think. Maybe there was something more to him, he's just not letting me know what. I take my fingertips against my temple, rubbing ceaselessly. This Kakeru Hoga is clearly going to be the death of me.

"Whatever!" I end up barking out, pivoting. He seems to have already read the room and learned his lesson... "I'm counting on you! Don't upset my friends, and don't upset me."

Kakeru hides his pearly whites behind his tongue which was still pushing past his lips as he grins. He's silent, so I have no choice but to take his lack of reply as a yes. I had to put total faith in an acquaintance...

So, I raise my hands and step forward. He must've noticed my frown, my eyes, or whatever it was on my visage-- because he suddenly clears his throat and the sweat which was forming on his forehead.

I can hear the sound of my skin coming into contact with his. It's abrupt, cutting, unrelenting. Kakeu hisses after my open-hand practically strikes the nape of his neck-- and instead of letting him go-- I reel him closer.

"Huuuuh? What was that?" I exaggerate, hanging my chin low in an animated way. The black-haired male keeps his eyes averted, but no matter which corner or door he looks to-- he can't hide the fear brimming in his eyes from me.