Chapter 10

He felt the branches of the bush as he was now fully submerged in it with only his legs protruding from the bush. He felt his heart sink; he thought he was gonna die or be kidnapped. His eyes wide with panic he grabbed one of the branches with his free hand and tried to move it away from his face. He bit the hand covering his mouth, his breath quickening as he tried to squirm the thing holding him just shoved its hand over his mouth once again. He felt hopeless, like his efforts would amount to nothing but then he heard a familiar voice.

"Calm down! It's me Akooza!" a feminine voice shouted. Akooza couldn't believe it, that was Ootas voice. But how and why was she here in the human world? Akooza lowered his hands to his side, calming as he realized he wasn't being abducted. His body trembled, his heart pounding in his chest.

"Oota that's you?" he trembled. He was shocked, the darkness of the bush surrounding him an endless void.

"Yes it's me," Oota reassured. "Did that human abduct you?" Oota seemed convinced that her theory was correct and she fully believed he had been held captive.

"No! No he didn't Oota, he's my friend!" Akooza shouted. He could hardly see the outline of Ootas body shape. Oota was about to speak but it was interrupted by Elyks monotone voice.

"Akooza what are you doing in the bush?" Elyk asked. Of course, Akoozas legs had been sticking out of the bush so Elyk had noticed he wasn't following and spotted him. Oota let out a panicked squeak and moved backwards hiding deep under the branches of the bush. Akooza squirmed trying to escape the bush.

"Oh! Elyk! I-" Akooza paused and glanced at the bush where the frightened Oota was hidden. "I just fell!" Akooza blurted an excuse. He let out a nervous giggle. Elyks wary gaze sharpened and he grabbed Akoozas ankles dragging him out of the bush. Akooza let out a grunt and sat up. He had twigs and leaves stuck in his hair.

"Alright whatever. I almost walked off without you by accident," Elyk grumbled. He reached his hand out to help Akooza up. Which Akooza gladly took. He stood up and dusted his pants off pulling leaves out of his hair. "Now hurry up, we should be at the shop by now," Elyk complained.

"I'm hurrying!" Akooza yelped. He shook his head and glanced back at the bush for a moment. He knew Oota was there. He still didn't know how eleves were getting to this world or even how he was here. He didn't want to leave Oota alone but didn't really want to give her position away so he shifted his gaze back to Elyk. All he could think was 'sorry Oota' before glancing back at the bush for a quick moment.

"Why ya staring at that bush ya got a romantic relationship with it?" Elyk teased. Between the worry and confusion, and now Elyks teasing Akooza finally lost it. He clenched his fists and took in a deep breath.

"I'M NOT IN LOVE WITH A BUSH!" Akooza yelled, he didn't know why he yelled. He didn't even understand why it was that big of a deal but he couldn't control himself. The look in his eyes sharpened and the greenish aura of his magic brightened becoming the same color as his eyes. It surrounded and gathered around him becoming visible and he didn't seem like himself at all. The magic glowed and almost blinded Elyk for a moment before his eyes adjusted. The sun had started setting by now and the night air grew cold. Akooza was moving on his own as a large thorny vine sprouted from the ground. The same aura from Akoozas magic around it. All at once three more vines lashed around.

"Akooza Don't!" Elyk shouted. His breath caught in his throat he watched as Akooza held his hand forward, his palm facing Elyk just as that was done the vines lunged for Elyk. Elyk being a human couldn't do anything to react, he didn't fight or flight. He just stared as the vines came toward him. His eyes filled with fear, he was stunned. His life flashed before his eyes as the scene in front of him faded, the sounds shifting, everything disappearing turning into an empty void.

Elyk reached out his hands into the void, he felt smaller his hands were tiny toddler hands for a moment. He batted at an apron that appeared in front of him and recognized it as his mothers. The black darkness around him painted into the picture of his childhood kitchen. A small counter, baby blue walls and a woman with the same red hair as Elyk.

"Mommy!" the toddler version of Elyk yelled as he gripped his mothers apron, his voice small and childish. His mother glanced down at him he couldn't see or well in this case remember her face so it was cast with a shadow. He looked at what seemed to be his mother and giggled. "Mama!"

"Yes hunny? Mom's cooking right now, remember patience," the soft gentle voice of his mother croaked. He was scooped up into the woman's arms. He smiled and waved his own tiny toddler arms.

"Okay mommy! I'll be patient!" Elyk giggled and shouted with a small laugh. He was childish which was expected since he was a child. "I'll be patient…"

"Good my little son," the woman's voice echoed. She gently patted Elyks head before setting him back onto the ground. Elyk laughed and smiled nodding his head up and down he gently picked up an old busted small toy off the ground and ran into the other room laughing and giggling. The sound of the kitchen began to fade, and the sound of Elyks giggling turned into the crackling of fire. Elyk looked around the little area he was playing in and he saw flames all around the room. This never happened to him. What was going on? Elyk was scared he yelled.

"Mama! Mama fire fire!" there was no response. His mother didn't answer and he closed his eyes fearfully. The sound of a raging fire echoing in his ears. The crackling of the pops, the heat now felt on his skin, the noises of his memory faded away and he felt the cool night air mixed with the heat of fire.