Percy

She was kissing me.

She was kissing me.

She was seated super close to me. I could feel her soft skin. She smelled like lemons.

Did I mention she was kissing me?

My hand gravitated upwards to cup the side of her face, gently tracing her petal skin, which felt soft and smooth and warm, and I sighed into the kiss.

She broke away again, but she didn't shift away, letting her lips graze mine lightly. My hand remained where it was, stroking her jawline as I opened my eyes and found her staring at me. I took the opportunity to study her as well.

The light emitted by the TV against the darkness of the room in general illuminated her side profile, gently radiating off her curls and her cheekbone. Her face had taken on a flushed pink blush that I found absolutely adorable. Her lips were slightly red and smelled and tasted like raspberry lip balm, mellow and inviting.

I couldn't help but gaze into her eyes: they were a sparkling and fierce gray, slightly defined by the light leaking into the irises from the side. They were thunderstorms swirling inside her, sometimes calculating and sometimes comforting. Right now, they were intense and bright and flustered and were regarding me with a quality I couldn't exactly recognize.

Was it... wonder?

I sighed again, letting myself fall into the adventurous, passionate and intelligent storm that Annabeth is. I'd held back from fear, confusion and general reluctance to make a move that might render her uncomfortable, but it certainly did help my concerns when she kissed me back. I could see in her eyes that she was as invested in this as I was, and I was so excited to explore that with her. I wanted to go through anything with her.

Somehow, when she told me about her mom and her honest feelings about it, I was glad and more than honored that she trusted me with it, with her passion when speaking about her mom and how she'd come around to understand her parents and support them.

She'd heard me out about my dad with such patience and understanding, and in the end, she hadn't tried to help or ask me with concern how I was doing. She just hugged me and reminded me that she was there, and I don't think she'll ever understand how grateful I am for that.

She's such an incredible person through and through, with a mind that's a hundred moves ahead of everyone and a heart that's powerful, enthusiastic and empathetic.

My hand didn't leave her cheek, and her lips quirked up in an amused smile. I chuckled, as she opened her mouth to say something, before I heard a loud slam behind me.

Annabeth's eyes left my own to look behind me, and I turned around instinctively too, scowling. Someone who I hadn't been expecting till tomorrow, but still had to turn up and ruin things like he always does.

Gabe stumbled through the door, reeking of liquor.

"SALLY!" he called, reeking of liquor. "DINNER!"

I heard a soft "Coming" from the bedroom where she was working. I could imagine her face, probably a little shocked that my step dad was here, then running a hand through her hair wearily as she shut her laptop away, resigning herself.

It wasn't long before Gabe noticed us both on the couch, probably too close for comfort. He raised his eyebrows, glaring at us both and our proximity. "Well, well, look what we have here."

He trudged towards us, and I stood up. I registered in my peripheral vision that Annabeth had done the same. As he got closer, I moved a little in front of Annabeth, something that hadn't gone unnoticed by Gabe. He grinned, and I wanted to be anywhere but here.