Part 3: Just Married

Alden's POV

"Your lolo gifted us a house here in LA?!"

I quickly glanced at Kathryn before taking the left turn. "Under your name."

"Hindi ba't nakakakonsensya naman yun? In two years time magfa-file tayo ng divorce."

"The old man is just that generous and I don't think we— you don't deserve it. He's fond of you. Accomplice mo rin naman ako. It's not that we got married kasi niloloko mo kami."

"Niloloko natin sila," she said.

"This is how we sugarcoat this absurd arranged marriage, Kathryn. Tayo ang casualties dito. The least we could do is make it convenient for the both of us while we're fulfilling our families' wishes. Wala naman tayong magagawa, right? We exist to always show up for them."

"Right."

A long silence enveloped us during the rest of the travel to Malibu.

She loves surfing that's why I chose to stay here for our honeymoon. Man, our families are too persistent to have grandkids already. Not happening.

"Mom booked us a room in this hotel. You will be staying here while I stay in a private resort nearby."

"Good," she replied absentmindedly, not even throwing me a single look. She's already marveling at the panoramic view of the beach. The girl is clearly a surfing enthusiast.

We made our way to the room and helped her unpack. I heard a click from her phone. She took a photo of me. "An update for the Bernardo-Faulkersons GC," she lazily said.

"I will join you during day time so you can send them more photos of us."

"No problem."

"You're free to date anybody here. Just in case... you know."

"Same goes to you, too, Faulkerson."

Madali kausap. She has completely warmed up to our situation. Win win.

Kathryn is an actress. Surprisingly, an excellent one at that. Faking our relationship to our families is easy peasy. Hiding it to the public is easy as well. Kung ako ang tatanungin, it's okay for me to publicize the wedding kasi gusto ko narin magpahinga sa buhay bachelor ko. Parties, alcohol, women... at thirty, wala na akong energy for those things. Pero kasama sa contract yung pangalagaan ang career nya. She's at her prime now. Our families and me as well, respected that. I understand that she's also working with an on-screen partner for the rest of the year.

"Earth to Alden." Kathryn snapped her fingers at me. "Tinatanong ko kung sabay tayo magdidinner mamaya."

"No. I have an appointment tonight."

"You mean date?"

"Just an appointment." I picked up my car key and bid her good bye. "I will see you tomorrow morning."

"Of course!" she perked. I could sense she has already planned in her mind her series of activities in this place. Her face lit up with anticipation the moment she fished her osmo camera. Clearly, she couldn't wait to have her own space alone.

Bago ako umalis, I called Oli. "Sa labas na tayo kumain. I will meet you there."

"What will I do with all these dishes we prepared for you?"

"Google will tell you to store them in the fridge."

"Asshole."