Part 1: Face Off

2 years ago

Kathryn Bernardo and her second Gawad Urian award.

Everything feels surreal for Kathryn. She works hard in the show business for quite some time now with goals in mind such as acting recognitions and it's happening again. For her, she already proved her passion towards the craft she chose, hoping her parents finally trust the path she's walking on now.

"Hindi ka man lang takot na mawala sa pamilya natin ang lahat ng pinaghirapan ng daddy mo?" This was her stepmom's last words before Kathryn left their heated conversation.

Apparently, their motor company, Bernardo Motors, is facing bankruptcy after an ignition failure killed 50 people. Recalled cars and motorcycles cost a fortune. Nahihirapan na mag cope ang kumpanya nila kahit pa nagbawas na sila ng entire division and car dealers.

With a trophy now in her hand and their dying family business in mind, Kathryn feels conflicted. Iba ang gusto ng puso nya pero kailangan nyang pakinggan ang utak nya. She's still a Bernardo after all— nag-iisang anak at tagapagmana.

"Congratulations, Kathryn!"

This snapped her back to reality. All smiles ang director ng movie nya. "Direk Zig! OMG para sa ating lahat to!" Mahigpit na yakap ang binalik ni Kathryn dito.

"Deserved ang acting award, my dear! I'm so proud of you! Wag kang mawawala sa celebration mamaya sa bar, okay? Para sa atin lahat yun! I messaged everyone na."

"Hahabol po ako. Promise po."

"Got yourself a date?" Panunukso ng batang direktor.

"I wish!"

Kathryn planned to go to her pad but a message from her mother painfully changed her mind. They are here. It's now your turn to make or break our company's future, Chandria.

Napasuntok nalang sya sa steering wheel.

.
.
.

At Casa Bernardo, an awkward atmosphere almost choked Kathryn to the core. Obviously, dinner time is over kaya tsaa ang naka-serve sa guests nila. She is familiar with the two old people but the mestizo guy's register doesn't ring a bell.

"My daughter is here, let's start talking business," wika ng stepmom nya.

Kath walked to her parents and kissed their cheeks before sitting across them. The mestizo guy also sat beside her.

Mataman lang silang nakinig sa usapan ng mga magulang nila at kahit gustong sumigaw ni Kathryn, wala na syang lakas para gawin yun. She's dead tired.

Umabot na sa kasal ang pinag-uusapan and inasmuch as she wants to fight, pinakalma nya ulit ang sarili nya. She stared at the profile of the guy. "Hindi ka ba kokontra sa sinasabi nila?" She nudged him.

Yumuko ito at bumulong din. "Don't you need this merger?"

"You're willing to give up your freedom for the sake of business," Kathryn stated. It wasn't a question nor there was a hint of wonder. The man beside her feels like a robot programmed to abide whatever his parents tell him. He smirked.

"Bernardo, it's just a piece of paper."

"They're talking about marriage here."

"STILL a paper."

Kathryn shakes her head.

"I have a boyfriend." She opt to lie.

"They already investigated you. NBSB," the guy answered. Busted.

"Impossible."

"You heard me."

After that, the guy stood up and spoke to the four, "If you'll excuse me po, I need to be at the airport ASAP for the convention in London. It was nice meeting you, Mr. And Mrs. Bernardo." Kinamayan nito ang mga magulang ni Kathryn at ni Kathryn narin. "Future wife."

"Shut it," Kathryn replied and clenched her jaws.

Nagmadali syang lumabas ng mansyon nila, umaasa na maaabutan pa nya yung antipatikong lalaki.

"Hoy!"

Nilingon lang sya nito at isinara agad ang pintuan ng sasakyan but Kathryn is determined to confront him kaya sumakay din ito sa parehong sasakyan.

"Hindi pa nga tayo ikinakasal ang clingy mo na agad."

"Fuck you."

"You don't know what you're talking about, Bernardo."

"Aiiiish!!! I'm so pissed! You're annoying! Pwede bang wag na natin pahirapan ang mga sarili natin?! Ayoko magpakasal sayo!"

"What made you think that I WANT to marry you, too?"

"Well, hindi ka komontra sa sinasabi nila?!"

"Wala na akong oras for another argument. I have a flight to catch. So if you'll excuse me, maaari ka ng bumaba." He signaled the driver to pull over. Nasa may gate palang naman sila ng Casa Bernardo.

Kathryn couldn't believe what just happened. Pinababa nga sya ng sasakyan nito and her angry ass is now looking at the retreating car. "Napaka antipatiko mo! Bwiset! Argh!"