Part 23: Baggage

Paris
January 28, 2023

Kathryn had to fly without Alden because of an emergency he told her not to worry about. Pero hindi nya parin maiwasan na hindi mag-alala kasi nalaman nyang ang matandang Faulkerson pala ang sinugod sa ospital. Two days na sya sa France and somehow manages to enjoy sightseeing kahit wala si Alden. 

And call it luck or what, she bumped into her cousin and Lia at Louvre Museum and they had dinner together. Although may napapansin sya sa dalawa, hindi nya nalang inusisa kasi normal naman sa magkasintahan ang tampuhan. After dinner, hinatid nila ni Cole si Lia sa airbnb na tinutuluyan ng mga ito and Cole walked her to her hotel.

He started bombarding Kathryn about his take of Alden's absence in their trip to the extent that he had to accompany her in her room. Hindi sya masyado makareact because of jetlag and food coma.

"Let's not talk about Alden anymore, ok?" Kathryn massages her head as they arrived.  

"Why not? I'm enjoying this character assassination of your fake husband due to the latest mishap. Sinabi ko naman sayo dati diba? Your marriage to him won't do you good. Sa company siguro oo, pero sayo? Nah... sakit ng ulo lang ibibigay nun sayo. Look at what happened now?"

"Nagkaemergency nga yung tao kaya please wag na natin pag-usapan."

"Faulkerson is an asshole. Hindi na talaga nagbago yun."

"Hindi mo naman sya kilala ng lubusan," she's having enough.

"After Lia cancelled our wedding because of him???"

"What are you saying?"

Cole clenched his jaws. "That son-of-a-bitch was Lia's first love. Kaya pala familiar ang mukha nun."

Kathryn tried to digest what she just heard. "Are you telling me that your fiancée is still in love with Alden?" 

Hindi sumagot si Cole. 

"Are they going behind our backs?" she asked again. 

Cole forcefully exhaled. "Alam mo na dapat ang sagot dyan knowing that Alden is a womanizer. He treats women as he pleases, dispatches them when he's done with his games. Don't tell me nakalimutan mo na lahat ng mga nalaman mo when we investigated him before your wedding?"

"No... of course not." Actually she did. She forgot about that version of Alden. She also forgot to tell her cousin about what's happening in their marriage, that they are actually not faking it anymore. 

"Don't worry, isang taon nalang naman magdidivorce na kayo. Good for you and good for me as well dahil di ko na kailangan makipagplastikan sa kanya when we are with your parents. Damn." 

"Cole, when Lia cancelled your wedding, did she also break up with you?"

"Yes."

"Then why are you here?"

"I asked her to."

"Cole..."

"I love her, okay? I am trying to save us."

"Try harder then. Good night, Cole."

She threw herself to the bed after her cousin left. 10 PM the clock said. Alas tres palang ng madaling araw sa Pilipinas. Gustuhin man nya tawagan si Alden, she somehow restrained herself from doing so. She knew she needed to gather her thoughts well before talking to him. Benefit of the doubt she told herself... yes, benefit of the doubt.