Chapter 10

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Lan Minghui slowly felt her boat sinking deeper and deeper into the water, although she was the only one on it. Seconds later, her boat flipped over to reveal several water demons latching onto the bottom. Hopping over to the nearest boat, which happened to hold two male disciples, Lan Dejun and Lan Sicheng, Lan Minghui sent her sword at the water demons, just managing to slice through them before summoning it back to her side.

Her boat wasn't the only one that had flipped; a handful had already been turned over, Lan Wangji's included. As he sent Bichen into the water after the demons, a yell of shock resonated through the fog that had gathered around them.

"Jiang-gongzi!" Lan Biyun called.

There was no reply from the direction of Jiang Cheng other than the splashing of water and the slashing of swords. Lan Biyun headed over to see what was going on.

A few tense, nail-biting minutes later, Lan Minghui felt a strange wetness seeping through the hems of her robes and realized with horror that they were drifting closer and closer to the center of Biling Lake, which turned out to be a waterborn abyss. Lan Xichen, seeing that it was unsafe for them to proceed, told everyone to mount their swords and fly. But Su She, the copycat, had sent his sword into the lake just seconds before and was now desperately trying to bring it back out. Wei Wuxian, knowing that there was no way to get Su She's sword back, was attempting to save him and Wen Ning, who had passed out, at the same time.

Wei Xingsi and Lan Biyun immediately carried Wen Ning to their side, leaving Wei Wuxian with one less person to save. However, Wei Wuxian, being the overly-selfless idiot he was, didn't realize that he himself was starting to get pulled down with Su She. If it were not for the fact that Lan Wangji was kind enough to help out (Wei Wuxian: "Lan Zhan! This is painful! Why do you have to hold me by the collar?!" Lan Wangji: "I don't like touching other people."), Wei Wuxian would've died (too early on).

Now, all the disciples that had come to the exorcism were maneuvering swords midair. Lan Xichen drew his xiao and started playing it in an attempt to calm the waterborn abyss and to bring back Su She's sword.

Aiya, Su She, can't you just be original for once? You just needed to copy Wangji, didn't you?

***************

"Did Zewu-jun compose that melody he played?" Nie Yilian asked as they returned to the Cloud Recesses.

Wei Xingsi answered her question with a nod. "Yeah, he did. It became a pretty well-known melody to play on the xiao. I've learned it, too."

"Wow. The Twin Jades of Gusu are truly talented. Hey, have you three composed any melodies?"

"Zui Meng," Lan Minghui answered softly, swallowing as a memory came rushing back to her.

**Flashback to four years ago**

Lan Minghui sat outside her room one late night in the Cloud Recesses. It was already past Hai Shi, so strictly speaking, she wasn't supposed to be up. However, the rule only stated, "Do not work after Hai Shi." This wasn't work, so technically, it wasn't against the rules.

Cries from the direction of the guest disciples' quarters suddenly reached her ears. All senses on high alert, Lan Minghui immediately jumped up from her relaxed position and quietly made her way through the empty, silent hallways of the Cloud Recesses. Following the source of the noise, she found herself at the door of Xue Yang's room. Knocking softly, she waited patiently for a response.

"Jiejie?" Xue Yang whispered, opening the door. His hair was down and messy, looking as though he had only just woken up.

"A-Yang, are you okay? I heard you screaming," Lan Minghui said.

A quiet, unsettling moment later, Xue Yang whispered, "Nightmares."

"Was it about Sect Leader Chang and your finger again?" Lan Minghui asked, receiving a nod of confirmation. "Please, A-Yang, if anything is ever bothering you, just let me know, alright? It's better to get troubles off your chest as quickly as possible than suppress them forever. And... are you sure you don't need anyone to do anything about Sect Leader Chang?"

Xue Yang, who found out his finger was destroyed by Chang Ci'an a while after his accident, shook his head firmly in denial. "No! Jiejie, you and the Gusu Lan Sect don't need to trouble yourselves any further for me. What's happened is in the past."

"If you insist," Lan Minghui sighed. "But at least let me help calm your nightmares."

She pulled out Zhaohui and started playing "Zui Meng", one of her first compositions, for him. Slowly, Xue Yang's eyes closed, and he fell asleep, this time peacefully. Relieved, Lan Minghui backed out of the room, closing the door behind her.

**End flashback**

Pulling out of the resurfaced memory, Lan Minghui noticed that her friends were waiting for her to talk about her composition.

"I haven't tested it out yet, but... when played while using spiritual energy, it should have... the ability to visit the thoughts and dreams of others."

Non-canon character names:
Lan Dejun (蓝德俊)
蓝 (Lan) = Blue
德 (De) = Virtue; morality; ethics; favor; faith; character
俊 (Jun) = Person of outstanding talent; good-looking

Lan Sicheng (蓝思成)
蓝 (Lan) = Blue
思 (Si) = Thought; feeling; mood; to wish/hope
成 (Cheng) = To accomplish; complete