Chapter 24

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Originally, the Sunshot Campaign felt short to Lan Minghui. Only a few pages and chapters in the book, a couple episodes in The Untamed, explained almost entirely in passing in the donghua; it felt like something that came and went.

But as the days dragged on, Lan Minghui didn't bother to keep count of the days anymore. She fought battle after battle, travelled from location to location, and slept countless restless nights.

Lan Minghui forced her eyes to stay open as she stood on Huari, flying from Gusu to Jiangling. The once-pristine white robes she wore were now permanently scarlet with blood, the seams split and tattered. From her blurring memories of her past life, she had wondered what it would be like, fighting in the Sunshot Campaign day and night. At that time, Lan Minghui was merely a bystander, watching battles pass and people die through a screen without a care in the world. Now, it felt several times more real, striking her hard with emotional impact.

How many members of her sect had she lost ever since she transmigrated to this world?

How many people had she killed?

Could she make those changes she'd always imagined of making?

Would living in this world really be worth it in the end?

Would it be asking for too much if she just wanted to live out the rest of this life happily with her friends, loved ones, and family?

Almost as if answering her final question, a vision of herself and Xue Yang, both dressed in auspicious red wedding attire and making their three bows as part of the baitang.

Lan Minghui sighed, scolding herself mentally, Don't be ungrateful. Living through this will be a massive reward for you already.

***************

"Lan-er-xiaojie," a disciple of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect greeted her as Lan Minghui reached the Jiangling front.

"Jiang-gongzi," she murmured, dipping her head to return the courtesy.

"Please follow me to the strategy tent. Sect Leader Jiang is expecting your arrival."

Lan Minghui nodded. "Please lead the way."

Without another word, she followed the disciple through the tents of the Jiangling front, where she saw cultivators of various sects and clans sparring, getting their injuries treated, or meditating.

As she walked, Lan Minghui was suddenly attacked by a fierce, tight hug from Xue Yang.

"Jiejie! You nearly worried me to death! We heard that the Qishan Wen Sect attacked the Gusu front!"

Confused, Lan Minghui racked through her memories for a recent attack.

"...What? There weren't any recent major battles over there," she explained, confused.

As their eyes met each other abruptly, they both quickly turned away awkwardly.

The young Jiang disciple who had led Lan Minghui inside was stuck in an even more awkward predicament. Clearing his throat, he asked, "So is Xue-gongzi offering to take Lan-er-xiaojie to meet Sect Leader Jiang?"

Xue Yang nodded.

"Then in that case, I send my thanks to Xue-gongzi," he said, seeming much more relaxed to be relieved of this responsibility.

Xue Yang led her through the battle camp stationed at the Jiangling front, chattering about the recent events and information they had received about the Qishan Wen Sect. Lan Minghui, however, had the waking part of her mind focused on his eyes when they had made eye contact; their distinct shape, deep color, and fiercely unrestrained energy...

Don't cry over spilt milk. He likely has someone in his heart already.

Glossary:
-Baitang (拜堂) = In traditional Chinese weddings, the baitang is a ceremony that could be considered the equivalent of wedding vows. It consists of three kowtows/bows; the first to the heavens and earth, the second to the mother and the father, the last to each other