16) Failing at protecting me

I awoke by myself, in our large King bed slightly cold in the morning air. Max never returned to bed and wasn't sleeping on the lounge by the time I was ready for work.

I grabbed my vitamins and 'Up & Go' knowing the Agents were waiting out the front, I didn't go into the study and say goodbye.

The drive to work was quiet and I felt lonely. The female agent in the back with me didn't glance my way at all once we were in the car. The driver having a quick look in the rear-view mirror about the time my emotions got the best of me and a single silent tear rolled down my face.

Max had said he found my earlier entries charming and funny, why the cold shoulder?

Going into autopilot once at the base I went about work not having any conversation beyond the file exchanges. Once lunch had come and gone, I checked my personal phone which I had purposely put on silent in the car on the way to work. When there was only one text saying 'have a good day' from Max, I lost it. Removing myself from the office prior and sitting in the bathroom cubical, I let all my emotions out.

The restroom door opened slowly and a meek voice spoke.

"Hello" with a small pause. I went silent but wiped the tears from my face as the footsteps neared the door.

"You don't know me, I'm Renee from Unit J. I am a Visionary like you."

With no reply from me she continued to talk in a low, calming voice.

"The projection of your emotions tells me you are stronger than I, but if you let me, I would like to try help."

Renee sounded so genuine and kind, I fixed myself up as much as I could and unlocked the cubical.

She was standing in between two cubical leaning on the divider. Her big hazel coloured doe eyes showing concern. Renee was short but lean and sported curly messy bun of golden-brown hair and soft tan glow to her skin. Even looking calming, I was feeling better as I stood in the ladies' bathroom taking in Renee.

Two small soft hands reached out and took mine. Something about her screamed safe, so I hugged the stranger in the bathroom, holding on tight for a good ten minutes.

Feeling a lot better, I separated from her.

"Thank you, I am May from Special Unit A." I finally introduced myself.

She smiled, the soft and elegant upturn of her lips showing me she already knew my name and position at the base.

"He loves you so much, he just doesn't know how to help keep you safe." Renee advised while looking back at the entry door. I realized someone was coming, dropping her right hand I still held and approaching the sink as a lady entered to use the restroom.

As I splashed my face with water Renee stood next to me, waiting till I had finished before silently handing me her phone with new contact entry May open.

Seeing no harm in having another friend to talk to, I input my number, smiled and got back to work.

At the end of another repetitive day of getting no leads on Bobby I checked my phone while in the changing rooms. I found I had two messages one from Max and one from Renee, under a new number.

Reading Renee's first she wrote, 'Was nice to meet you. Don't hesitate to text or call if you need a friend to talk to. Renee'.

So today I at least made a new friend.

Max's text was not as friendly, 'May, I'm visiting my parents. Be back tomorrow.'

Not even 'I love you' or the option of talking.

I replied to Renee's only with a 'What are you doing now?' Then saved her number and got changed.

She replied by the time I was finished and we made plans to meet up in the foyer to grab a drink.

The drinks idea, was a good one. But I had forgotten about my Unit's, Service Escort's, who insisted they had to come with.

The drinks, mine a mocktail and deep-fried chicken wings, sobered by the presents of the two agents sitting on the next table. Knowing they could hear our conversation, we spent most of the evening texting each other.

Although most of the conversations where general and light hearted I got a little more insight, into what Renee could see in my emotional projection, stuff I couldn't piece together myself.

As the evening was winding down, I received another text, this time from Katherine. She was at mine and was only after a reply, I was okay and would be coming home.

'Be home in five, all good' I replied as I got into the agent's backseat after a small hug and goodbye to Renee.

Katherine and me talked for hours and apparently Katherine and Renee could see the obvious, I clearly missed.

Max feels like he is failing at protecting me as he believes that is his job. So, once more Max is suffering with his internal turmoil as I cry like a child at his distance.