~2~ Waitress

Magnolia's POV

I allow myself to fall apart for thirty seconds before I smooth out my skirts and wipe my eyes.

That's quite enough of that, Magnolia

I finish cleaning the kitchen and straightening up our very few belongings, desperately trying to think of where we can go. We have no family left!

I hear Rosie's laugh and I peek out the opened window, smiling to myself when I see Theo hoisting her up on his shoulders and galloping around like a horse.

"Faster," she squeals as she makes a lasso motion.

"If I go any faster you're liable to fall off," he chuckles breathlessly as he continues running around the small yard.

"Not if I grip your neck tighter," she chortles, and when Theo groans I laugh out loud. She must be squeezing his neck with her thighs to hold on.

"Time to come in and get ready for bed, children." I say through the window, and Rosie starts to whine.

"Maggie, the sun is still awake!"

"I know, but the moon will be taking its place soon and you get cranky when you don't get enough sleep."

She gasps in offense and puts her hands on her hips, and Theo silently smirks as he grips her thighs so she doesn't fall off his shoulders.

"I's do NOT get cranky."

"I'm sorry, you're right. You never get sassy when I let you stay up too late."

She scrunches her freckled nose at me and I laugh again.

She may be a pistol, but she makes my heart swell

"Tell your horsey to gallop this way," I say.

She grins as she squeezes his neck again. "Giddy-up, Theo!"

He's a good sport as he gallops inside and sets her down by me, and I kiss her hair. "Get your nightdress on, Love."

She does what she's told and when I turn to Theo, his brown eyes study me.

"Why have you been crying?"

"What?" I ask as I try to school my face.

"Crying. What's wrong?"

I sigh. I can never do anything right

"Mr. Larson came by. We have to be out in seven days."

"WHAT?!?" He gasps as horror fills his eyes.

"I haven't made enough to pay the rent, Theo. He can't just let us live here for free."

"Yes he could," he mutters as he silently goes to the privy and gets himself to bed.

~*~

The next morning I get myself ready and tap Theo on the shoulder. His eyes lazily blink open, and he squints at the light.

"Where you going so early?" He croaks as he sits up in bed.

"I'm going to head to the restaurant this morning and see if they need help today. I'm hoping Mrs. Dexter will know of somewhere we can stay. Will you keep Rosie? I have some cold cuts left for you to have at lunch, and there's some grits ready for you for breakfast."

"Have you eaten?" He asks as he swings his legs over the side.

"I'm fine. I love you," I say as I kiss his sandy hair and smooth out my dress.

I leave the small home and walk down the road toward the only restaurant in town, and when I get inside the smell of bacon and coffee makes my stomach growl.