~4~ Ain't Sleeping With Cows

Magnolia's POV

Of all the... Never in my life have I.... Who in their right mind struts in and offers marriage...For his brother?

And then to insinuate that someone would touch my brother and sister....I've never in my life heard of such'a thing!

I storm around the kitchen that afternoon in an absolute rage as I let my mind replay the event over and over. I dissect every sentence. Every facial expression. Every silent pause.

He left me a two dollar tip.

The two dollars alone would be enough to pay for an entire month's rent. If he has that kind of money to give away, what kind of life could I give to these children?

Stop it, Maggie

I wash the dishes from the lunch rush, and my mind is swirling. Mrs. Dexter comes into the kitchen and watches me stew for a bit before she clears her throat and touches me gently on the shoulder.

"What did he say to you, Maggie? You've been riled since he left."

Without pausing to think about keeping it to myself, I blurt out the entire conversation and she looks at me with wide eyes.

"Proxy marriage," she gasps as she puts her hand to her bosom. "Are you considering it, child?"

"Of course I'm not considering it," I snap, and then immediately feel ashamed. "Please forgive my harsh tongue. I'm just so flustered."

Mrs. Dexter clears her throat and comes over, grabbing me by the shoulders and spinning me to face her. "Consider it, child. This town....You have no where to go. These children will be on the streets in six days. Consider this, Maggie."

"Why does everyone hate us now? I don't understand," I blurt out as tears sting my eyes.

Her's soften as she nods sadly. "Beatrice soiled your family name. She snubbed her nose at us for years...The townsfolk are taking it out on you three and it ain't fair."

"But Beatrice left! I....None of it makes any sense," I cry.

"She made a lot of enemies."

"But Pa didn't! Pa was good and kind to all of them," I argue.

Mrs. Dexter shrugs. "Your Pa was a businessman. He has refused loans, raised interest, and foreclosed houses many times."

"So nobody ever liked us? It was all fake?"

She gives me a sad smile. "I like you, Maggie."

I nod as I wipe at my eyes and turn to finish the dishes—I have a job to do. The time for feeling sorry for myself will be tonight in bed, under my covers.

~*~

I get home that evening, worn to the bone. Mrs. Dexter sent food with me to give the children, and when they see the turkey and mashed potatoes with two slices of peach pie, their little eyes sparkle.

"It's like Christmas," Rosie exclaims as she takes a big bite of her pie first. When I give her a disapproving look, she smiles impishly.

"Supper first, young lady."

"Yes'um," she mumbles around the juicy pie, and I stifle a grin.

"You look tired," Theo says as he stuffs half of the turkey into his mouth.

"Don't choke," I chuckle as he chews, his eyes shining in delight.

If they lived with Mr. Whitlock, they could eat like this every single day. Am I being selfish, Lord? Forgive me if I am